• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

searching this board

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

searching this board

I'm looking for past debates on company car related stuff in legal/accountancy - if I just search on "car" it's ignored (doesn't say why but I suspect it is too short) - but "company car" returns no results - I know I ma being really dense here, but cannot see the wood for the trees...........

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    I'm looking for past debates on company car related stuff in legal/accountancy - if I just search on "car" it's ignored (doesn't say why but I suspect it is too short) - but "company car" returns no results - I know I ma being really dense here, but cannot see the wood for the trees...........
    Try >Audi A3<
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

At the top of the search results it says (well, whispers) "The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: car"

Unfortunately vBulletin's search facility is lousy.

Try this instead

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        At the top of the search results it says (well, whispers) "The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: car"

Unfortunately vBulletin's search facility is lousy.

Try this instead
        Many thanks - see - told you I was being dense

Comment

Many thanks - see - told you I was being dense
          Well, not dense - just expecting too much from the vBulletin search facility.

Search is HARD - it's one of the hardest problems there is when dealing with free text, such as web sites. Which is why it's really cool that Google's site search facility (which IIRC used to only work at domain level) now accepts paths, meaning one can focus one's search really well on sites that have meaningful URLs

My last permy job was in a design studio - I'd be given the comps, and I couldn't care less about the almost intractable difficulties of implementing the design in an accessible standards-compliant way. I'd point at the inevitable "search" box at the RHS of the site header and ask the MD if they'd factored the cost of implementing a search engine into their bid for the (by now secured) contract.

Inevitably the answer was "No... it's just a search box"

I learnt quite a bit about implementing an effective search mechanism for free text during the year I worked there - but contrary to popular opinion, I am not Google, with hundreds of PhDs at my disposal

Anyway, HTH

Comment

Working...
          X