• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just had a phone call from Bangalore

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just had a phone call from Bangalore

"Hello DiscoStu, this is <didn't quite catch his name> from <didn't quite catch the company>. We provide support for Microsoft and Dell. Your ISP has notified us that your computer is running very slowly and may be infected with a virus. Is your computer running slowly?"

"No, it's running fine thanks very much. I have up to date A/V and anti-spyware software. Where did you get this number from?

"Sir, we've been notified by your ISP that you have probably downloaded a virus in the last week. We provide support services to clean up your computer and get it running at maximum efficiency again."

"Right, so who's my ISP then?"

"We work with BT, Sky, Virgin, AOL and all other major internet service providers in UK"

"Right, so who's my ISP then?"

"We work with BT, Sky, Virgin, AOL and all other major internet service providers in UK"

At this point I got abusive and hung up. Makes me cross!
    ǝןqqıʍ

You mean you actually answer incoming calls from "withheld" or "international"?

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
      My brother lives in Oz so I tend to on the off-chance it's him.
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Suppose you had gone along with it - presumably they would have wanted your ip address and then infected it? Are they going after online banking/paypal?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Suppose you had gone along with it - presumably they would have wanted your ip address and then infected it? Are they going after online banking/paypal?
          They're trying to sell anti-virus software.

HTH.

Just imagine how many gullible none techy types out there have fallen for this... Willllmmmslooow?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            They're trying to sell anti-virus software.

HTH.

Just imagine how many gullible none techy types out there have fallen for this... Willllmmmslooow?
            Then it is not too bad then. Could be alot worse.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
              Withheld can be police, doctor etc.

International can come from UK (I guess via some cheapo phone service)

Comment

I play "who ever hangs up first is a loser".

You're only allowed to answer their questions, but you are allowed to lie, or grunt incomprehensibly.

Last week, one chap hung as soon as I told him we had 7243 months left on our phone contract.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                X