• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Uk Debt Highest In Human History

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uk Debt Highest In Human History

look at this

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/mai.../cndebt128.xml

Doomed!

Originally posted by sappatz View Post
    That means deep fookin poopie.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

"Families in the UK now owe a record 173pc of their incomes in debts, official figures have shown."

FFS

Did nobody ever tell these imbeciles that they shouldn't buy it if they can't afford it?

Oh no, of course, Margaret Thatcher and her cronies promoted the idea of getting into debt (oh sorry, "leveraging credit facilities") because it made it seem as if there was an economic recovery when there wasn't

And before you all start on me, I know that this lot do the same... but it was Thatcher that pulled that stunt first, and don't you try to deny it unless you came through 1988 - 89 without having negative equity in your property.

(Those who still lived with Mummy and Daddy back then don't have the experience to qualify them to express an opinion.)

Plus ça change, plus ça ne change pas, et cetera, ad nauseam, ad infinitum.
      Last edited by NickFitz; 29 June 2008, 04:04. Reason: cedillas

Comment

We stowed away on the busybody's tardis and found this:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/3855-economic-crash-uk-inevitable.html

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
          That means deep fookin poopie.
          Damn right, and I wonder what proportion of that debt is to foreign creditors.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            "Families in the UK now owe a record 173pc of their incomes in debts, official figures have shown."

FFS

Did nobody ever tell these imbeciles that they shouldn't buy it if they can't afford it?

Oh no, of course, Margaret Thatcher and her cronies promoted the idea of getting into debt (oh sorry, "leveraging credit facilities") because it made it seem as if there was an economic recovery when there wasn't

And before you all start on me, I know that this lot do the same... but it was Thatcher that pulled that stunt first, and don't you try to deny it unless you came through 1988 - 89 without having negative equity in your property.

(Those who still lived with Mummy and Daddy back then don't have the experience to qualify them to express an opinion.)

Without debt, most of us would not have been able to purchase our houses to make thousands in equity, and the country would not have been so prosperous over the past few decades. Levels of debt were actually well controlled under Thatcher, and I for instance had to put down a 7,000 pound deposit on my first two-bed terraced house at 37,500 pounds.

The main cause of our current woes is that banks were allowed to lend vastly above their capital ratios by selling SIVs(structured investment vehicles) onto other banks, thus breaking all lending controls, especially in the US. This should have been for the FSA/ BofE / HMG to monitor and control but they failed miserably. This has happened squarely under New Lie's regime and they quite rightly will carry the can at the next election.

Comment

Same old same old
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by sappatz View Post
                Maybe "highest in recorded history" is exaggerating a bit. Paying the ransom for the release of Richard the Lionheart in the 1190s cost three times the usual annual tax revenues of the country, and everyone was taxed a quarter of the value of their goods and chattels to raise the funds required!

P.S If he'd known what a thing the Austrians have about locking people in cellars, perhaps he wouldn't have travelled through there on his way back from the crusades.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I can understand borrowing money for a house or car - large capital purchases. But for petrol?

What happened to days when credit was called the "never never"?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

FFS

I blame Thatcher for the great depressionof the 30's, and the economic woes of the 70's, and the 90's obviously.. and now. Its clearly all her fault. Not to mention the fact that these were global recessions, but Thathcher was still to blame.

Comment

Working...
                    X