• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quick dividend question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick dividend question

Hi all,

just trying to get my head fully around the dividend / tax credit situation.

Let's say I paid a dividend to myself of £9000. Should the figure on the dividend voucher and meeting minutes say £9000, with the value of the tax credit alongside it...

Or, should the value on the voucher be £9000 LESS the tax credit, with the value of the credit alongside it?

Yours, confused of London.

It should look like this:-

Dividend £9000, Tax credit £1000

The calculation is 9000 / 9. You don't take £1000 off the £9000 etc. The dividend should also be the net amount after you have already paid 21% corporation tax on it, so if you were paying £9000 out your account and had not already paid tax it would be £9000 * 0.79 = £7110 dividend, £790 tax credit.

If anything above is wrong please don't blame me, I'm not an accountant.
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Thanks Chris.

Not sure I totally understand the last sentence. In my case, the dividends were paid out last year, but the tax on them will be paid this september. I'm just making sure the paperwork is right in terms of tax vouchers.

I presume your first sentence (that the amount I paid myself is the gross amount on the dividend voucher) is correct in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
        It should look like this:-

Dividend £9000, Tax credit £1000

The calculation is 9000 / 9. You don't take £1000 off the £9000 etc. The dividend should also be the net amount after you have already paid 21% corporation tax on it, so if you were paying £9000 out your account and had not already paid tax it would be £9000 * 0.79 = £7110 dividend, £790 tax credit.

If anything above is wrong please don't blame me, I'm not an accountant.
        That's basically the case.

1. Take the gross profit
        2. Work out the corporation tax (21% ish, there are capital depreciation items that might have a small effect, that's what the accountant is for)
        3. Pay yourself a net dividend of the net amount. At the same time, give yourself a tax credit of 1/9 of the net amount that you have paid yourself.

The 21% corporation tax covers the 10% tax credit, which satisfies the tax liability for a basic rate (20%) tax payer. Confused? It didn't make a whole lot of sense when this set up was introduced, and now with the abolition of the 10% tax rate, it makes even less sense.

Comment

Right, I think I'm clear about this now!

Soooo, to summarise:

Let's say I decide that I am in a healthy position to pay a dividend of £5000.

Don't worry about whether or not I've worked out my gross/net profits, or whether there's enough in the account to cover corp tax, or whether I'm going to breach the higher tax threshold. The actual amount that leaves the business bank account is £5000.

My dividend voucher should read (ignoring the actual wording):

Dividend: £5000 Tax voucher: £555.56

Am I there?

Comment

Yes, it would be £5000 / 9 = £555.56 (rounded up).

You should also have your board meeting minutes documenting the dividend, and each shareholder have a voucher showing the price per share paid etc... so if you are the single shareholder with 1 share, it would be £5000 per 1 share.

Comment

Cool.

Just to make things awkward, when I set up the company I issued 100 shares all to myself. Don't know why, just didn't know any better at the time.

So in this case, I would have to pay out £50 per share, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Gros View Post
                Cool.

Just to make things awkward, when I set up the company I issued 100 shares all to myself. Don't know why, just didn't know any better at the time.

That would be easiest.

Comment

Originally posted by Gros View Post
                  Cool.

Yes, I made the mistake of issuing 500 shares to myself and 500 to my partner, so I have to pay my dividends to the tune of 1000 shares, it's no big deal though, but would have been easier to just give us 1 share each. All part of learning the ropes I guess, we all start somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                  X