• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First-aid boxes.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First-aid boxes.

I cut my hand on Saturday. I thought it was fine - but today I banged it and it started bleeding. So went to first aid box to stop getting blood over my interview suit. Grabbed the first aid box - which then "jumped" and fell towards the kettle it is placed over. I grabbed it again (so as not to spill hot water over me) and hit one of the first aid box clips. The box is held in place by 2 clips - one of which is broken. So I then cut myself a second time.

Either first-aid boxes or dangerous or I need advice from Wilmslow on how conduct myself. Anyone got any canned laughter?

On second thoughts I need advice from Diver about avoiding hand injuries. And advice from Mal about suing clientco.

Okay a story totally unrelated to yours.

Yesterday after I got home I was walking down the communal stairs in our block of flats and I saw one of the old women residents sprawled out on her back on the floor. After checking she was okay I eventually acquiesced to her request to lifted her up, but only to a sitting position. There was blood all over the floor and her hair matted with blood. She was insistent that she was okay and just wanted help to her feet, so I gingerly got her to her feet. She refused an ambulance or medical help and wanted to talk about a concern she had related to paying her 6-monthly maintenance fee instead.

Anyway she promised she would phone her son and I not being experienced in these things went back upstairs to mull over what's to be done in situations like this. I have lifted her up off the floor in the past. I decide I don't really believe she will phone her son, so decide to speak to the peeps on the ground floor since one is a nurse and her partner also works in the medical profession. I tell her I'm not sure who one calls in situations like this, is it an ambulance, Doctor or what? She says she is just going out but will see the old lady. I mop up the blood on the carpets (euwww).

The nurse decides she will take the old lady to hospital herself (not the hospital she works in though), so I say okay thanks for helping. I'm left feeling a bit bad that I didn't take her to hospital (being bit of a novice on hospitals), though my solution was more on the lines of getting medical help to come here rather than her being taken somewhere. The nurse politely looked a little put out by it all. Should I feel bad that I didn't take the old woman to hospital? In hindsight I think I should probably just have called an ambulance.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Okay a story totally unrelated to yours.

Yesterday after I got home I was walking down the communal stairs in our block of flats and I saw one of the old women residents sprawled out on her back on the floor. After checking she was okay I eventually acquiesced to her request to lifted her up, but only to a sitting position. There was blood all over the floor and her hair matted with blood. She was insistent that she was okay and just wanted help to her feet, so I gingerly got her to her feet. She refused an ambulance or medical help and wanted to talk about a concern she had related to paying her 6-monthly maintenance fee instead.

Anyway she promised she would phone her son and I not being experienced in these things went back upstairs to mull over what's to be done in situations like this. I have lifted her up off the floor in the past. I decide I don't really believe she will phone her son, so decide to speak to the peeps on the ground floor since one is a nurse and her partner also works in the medical profession. I tell her I'm not sure who one calls in situations like this, is it an ambulance, Doctor or what? She says she is just going out but will see the old lady. I mop up the blood on the carpets (euwww).

The nurse decides she will take the old lady to hospital herself (not the hospital she works in though), so I say okay thanks for helping. I'm left feeling a bit bad that I didn't take her to hospital (being bit of a novice on hospitals), though my solution was more on the lines of getting medical help to come here rather than her being taken somewhere. The nurse politely looked a little put out by it all. Should I feel bad that I didn't take the old woman to hospital? In hindsight I think I should probably just have called an ambulance.
      Personally I would have called an ambulance.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        I cut my hand on Saturday. I thought it was fine - but today I banged it and it started bleeding. So went to first aid box to stop getting blood over my interview suit. Grabbed the first aid box - which then "jumped" and fell towards the kettle it is placed over. I grabbed it again (so as not to spill hot water over me) and hit one of the first aid box clips. The box is held in place by 2 clips - one of which is broken. So I then cut myself a second time.

Either first-aid boxes or dangerous or I need advice from Wilmslow on how conduct myself. Anyone got any canned laughter?

On second thoughts I need advice from Diver about avoiding hand injuries. And advice from Mal about suing clientco.

Lucy, is that you?????
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          Lucy, is that you?????
          Dont say that - you will upset Lucy....

Comment

Dont say that - you will upset Lucy....
            anything

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
              anything
              You can't do that, then she'll be upset you said nothing.
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Let us say that platypus and Disco are correct. Then Lucy is my ex-wife.

Surely not more than 1 woman like that?

Comment

Advice?

Take more water with it.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    ... I saw one of the old women residents sprawled out on her back on the floor...

Should I feel bad that I didn't take the old woman to hospital?
                    Hindsight is great.

You didn't walk past. Be pleased with yourself.
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X