• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Smart arsed interviewers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart arsed interviewers

Can anyone brighten my monday with stories of interview questions that made you want to reach over the table and punch them?

When I was going for a junior-ish role. I was asked

"in C#, will the code in the finally clause always run?"

I said "yes, I believe it does".

he said "WRONG. It will not run if the server has a power failure during the operation "

KNOBHEAD!

Originally posted by matt99 View Post
    Can anyone brighten my monday with stories of interview questions that made you want to reach over the table and punch them?

he said "WRONG. It will not run if the server has a power failure during the operation "

KNOBHEAD!
    Get up, apologise saying you will obviously not fit in to the culture here and walk out.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      Get up, apologise saying you will obviously not fit in to the culture here and walk out.
      Absolutely. better to find out what a shower of ****s they are before you start rather than later.

Comment

My mate once had an interview where thet started to ask him questions about a tradgedy in his life he'd briefly mentioned (close family member died young). He asked them not to dig any further, they did, wouldn't let it go, so he told the guy to go fook himself and asked him to step outside. He didn't get the job.
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
          My mate once had an interview where thet started to ask him questions about a tradgedy in his life he'd briefly mentioned (close family member died young). He asked them not to dig any further, they did, wouldn't let it go, so he told the guy to go fook himself and asked him to step outside. He didn't get the job.
          Reminds me - I once had an interview when the interviewer asked me if I had been happy at school. I politely declined to answer as I didn't think it relevant. The other interviewers hated the guy who'd asked the question so offered me the job to spite him. Then one of them turned on me once I was there so I left after 3 months. Not sure what the moral is there.

Comment

I once went for a defence job - was asked something to do with radar on a fence. He said I was wrong as a fence is a series of posts rather than a continuous line! I didn't get offered the job and would not have taken it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by matt99 View Post

KNOBHEAD!
              Also, if the computer is travelling through a wormhole the next statement to run will be the previous one.

HTH

Comment

During my younger years in the 1990s I got interviewed for development jobs by many 40 something wierdos for IT development jobs... I wonder where they´ve all ended up in life ....

One was at some Lodon based (strangely non profit making financial regulation organization), the bloke looked quite distict... had big red lips and was albino white and he decided to say half way between the technical interview "I see .. demonstrating a fundamental lack of technical ability..."´, I had got all the previous questions right, but I sensed that this was a hell hole, I politely attempted to end the interview and he got aggressive so I stood up and walked out.

A friend of mine said to me once "There are alot of funny b$ggers in the IT industry", and that guy that interviewed me was a PRIME example.

One of the worst interviews was at a financial Vendor company that sounds a bit like "Grrrrheuters", one Friar Tuck type bloke and a bald Saladin type bloke decided to torment me, (interestingly they were contractors but the hiring manager was unavailable), they taunted me and said "If you are cr%p, then you will not survive in this industry" etc. I made an excuse and got the hell out of that interview only to hear them utter insults behind my back as they walked me out.... years later I actually did get a contract in the same building from people that I thought were nicer... how wrong I was ... they lied about the role not just to me but to other contractors, the place was full of spiteful, vindictive people (Although a few very nice people) and a whole group of contractors just decided to resign at the same time including me... lesson LEARNED !

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
                  One of the worst interviews was at a financial Vendor company that sounds a bit like "Grrrrheuters", one Friar Tuck type bloke and a bald Saladin type bloke decided to torment me, (interestingly they were contractors but the hiring manager was unavailable),
                  Was this implementing a CRM package that rhymes with Weeble?

Comment

Originally posted by Rantor View Post
                    Was this implementing a CRM package that rhymes with Weeble?

No, but desite initial wobbles it won't fall down
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                    X