• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doom (has it been done?)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doom (has it been done?)

Home owners who bought at the top of the market last year have seen £13,500 erode from the value of their house as prices continued to fall in June, according to the Nationwide Building Society.

House prices have slumped by 7.3% from their peak last October pulling the average house price down to £172,415 in June from £186,044 at the top of the market.

The rate at which house prices fell slowed month-on-month to 0.9% in June from 2.5% in May.

So we are getting toward -10% in 8 months
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Dead Cat Bounce.

We are heading into peak buying season for houses now which is why the rate of decline has slowed.

There has been no good news to encourage buyers or sellers and once the summer season has passed prices will dip sharply again.

The credit crunch will really bite in the run up to Christmass and won't ease again till the spring.

IMO house prices will continue to fall until may/june next year.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Double doom - have you seen the FTSE today, tanking nicely ( if you are a doomster that is ! ).

I foolishly tried a bit of bottom fishing in shares and have been stung, I've hopefully learned my lesson and will steer well clear and sit back and watch

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        IMO house prices will continue to fall until may/june next year.
        And the rest, obviously IMHO !

It has took years of silly prices before the tide has turned, I think it'll take years to stop it now. If we do have a recession and job losses I think it'll get scary as forced sellers emerge.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
          And the rest, obviously IMHO !

It has took years of silly prices before the tide has turned, I think it'll take years to stop it now. If we do have a recession and job losses I think it'll get scary as forced sellers emerge.
          Depends on how many people are waiting in the wings to cash in. If the market drops sufficiently I suspect there will be a lot of ready cash waiting to take advantage and in turn help to restore the market.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Double doom - have you seen the FTSE today, tanking nicely ( if you are a doomster that is ! ).

I foolishly tried a bit of bottom fishing in shares and have been stung, I've hopefully learned my lesson and will steer well clear and sit back and watch
            I'm heavily investing in wheelbarrows.

everyone will need one soon to carry enough money for a loaf of bread.

Who the f#@%s in charge here - Mugabe?
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

I foolishly tried a bit of bottom fishing and have been stung, I've hopefully learned my lesson and will steer well clear and sit back and watch
              Best to avoid the stinging bottoms.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                Who the f#@%s in charge here - Mugabe?
                Sir Robert

Ah, maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  Depends on how many people are waiting in the wings to cash in. If the market drops sufficiently I suspect there will be a lot of ready cash waiting to take advantage and in turn help to restore the market.
                  I guess it depends if you are a doomster (me) or an optimist !

I think the smart experienced money waiting in the wings won't be moving back in for the forseeable future. There was a property dead cat bounce last time about two or three years into the slump but then the 92 recession kicked in. IMHO I'd wait until the recession I assume we'll have in the next year or two is well and truly out of the way.

Comment

e-ba gum and the rocking horse kid are peas in a pod.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X