• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Probability problem for statisticians/mathematicians

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probability problem for statisticians/mathematicians

If it requires 30 space shuttle flights to build the space station, and the probability of success for each flight is 98%, what is the probability of at least one failure in the sequence of 30 flights?

This seemed to be a straightforward case of a Binomial distribution to me with:

n=30
    r=1
    p=0.02
    q=0.98

Plugging into the Binomial formula gives me a probability of 0.333.

However, according to NASA it is 0.888.
    And another text book gives 0.4545.

Can anyone explain the right answer?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

FWIW I go with the 0.4545.

Isn't it just

1 - (probability all successful)

= 1 - (0.98)^30

= 0.4545
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it" - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      If it requires 30 space shuttle flights to build the space station, and the probability of success for each flight is 98%, what is the probability of at least one failure in the sequence of 30 flights?

n=30
      r=1
      p=0.02
      q=0.98

I reckon the text book is correct.

"probability of at least one failure" equals "1 - probability of no failures"

and the probability of no failures is the probability the first mission is OK AND the second mission is OK and etc for all 30 missions.

If each mission is an independent event then the ANDs are products. So the probability of as least one failure is 1 - 0.98^30 = 0.46 roughly.

P.S. I did the calculation in Google: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...30&btnG=Search

Edit: It's debatable whether missions are independent events though, for this calculation, if you take into account progressive weakening due to metal fatigue and so on. Maybe 0.98 is an average chance of success, but the actual chances decline after each mission.
      Last edited by Marina; 1 July 2008, 11:40.

Comment

Originally posted by ControlG View Post
        FWIW I go with the 0.4545.

Isn't it just

1 - (probability all successful)

= 1 - (0.98)^30

= 0.4545
        Aye, that's the text book answer. But I want to know why I shouldn't use the Binomial - the problem seems to fulfil all the conditions viz:

The trials must meet the following requirements:

"1. the total number of trials is fixed in advance;
        2. there are just two outcomes of each trial; success and failure;
        3. the outcomes of all the trials are statistically independent;
        4. all the trials have the same probability of success"
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

n=30
          r=1
          p=0.02
          q=0.98

I worked it out as.

1 - (0.98 raised to the power of 30) = 0.4545

Comment

Originally posted by Marina View Post
            I reckon the text book is correct.

"probability of at least one failure" equals "1 - probability of no failures"

and the probability of no failures is the probability the first mission is OK AND the second mission is OK and etc for all 30 missions.

If each mission is an independent event then the ANDs are products. So the probability of as least one failure is 1 - 0.98^30 = 0.46 roughly.

P.S. I did the calculation in Google: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...30&btnG=Search
            Statistically the probability of failure would increase with each trip made. the more trips the higher the probability.
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

n=30
              r=1
              p=0.02
              q=0.98

Isn't your binomial result the probability of exactly 1 failure?

you could do a cumulative function but it's easier to do ControlG's method: prob 100% success = 0.98 ^ 30.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                Statistically the probability of failure would increase with each trip made. the more trips the higher the probability.
                Taken as cumulative over the 30 flights, it would. However, we're presuming each flight is a discrete event.
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  Isn't your binomial result the probability of exactly 1 failure?
                  you could do a cumulative function but it's easier to do ControlG's method: prob 100% success = 0.98 ^ 30.

Ah indeed that is the issue! Need more coffee methinks.
                  The NASA result is probably connected to the need for more funding ...
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

n=30
                    r=1
                    p=0.02
                    q=0.98

I wouldn't trust NASA, they can't tell the difference between centimetres and inches...
                    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                    X