• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cycling to current gig

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cycling to current gig

ok - so over the last few weeks / months I've started cycling to my current gig. I've managed to get the time down to 1 hour 11 minutes today. That's Leatherhead to Soho 22.5 miles.

Now the question is, I'm using my mountain bike, it cost me about £1700 last year, light as its every going to be for a hard tail. Now I'm considering a road racing bike for around the same cost......but then I'm thinking I only want to blow £1700 to get my time below the hour mark.....what do I do....can anyone recommend a decent road bike ?

or is it just the contractor mentality speaking by blowing £1700 on a bike to prove a point.......
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Originally posted by n5gooner View Post
    ok - so over the last few weeks / months I've started cycling to my current gig. I've managed to get the time down to 1 hour 11 minutes today. That's Leatherhead to Soho 22.5 miles.

Now the question is, I'm using my mountain bike, it cost me about £1700 last year, light as its every going to be for a hard tail. Now I'm considering a road racing bike for around the same cost......but then I'm thinking I only want to blow £1700 to get my time below the hour mark.....what do I do....can anyone recommend a decent road bike ?

or is it just the contractor mentality speaking by blowing £1700 on a bike to prove a point.......
    How can you stay so cool and stylish on a bike?

Use a car you tightwad
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

http://www.firebox.com/product/2166/...FRqH1Qodx3Zasw

No sweating, no fuel to buy, 8p to charge and 40 mile range.

And much cheaper than a bicycle.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Out of stock!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Cool! I'm going to get one for the missus
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Or if you have more money and want to look really cool and go a bit faster.

http://www.nicecarcompany.co.uk/vect...ectrix_96.html
            http://www.myvectrix.com/vectrixexperience.html

Comment

Hey goonster! Hope you are well.
              Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

I'm cycling around 100 miles a week - I bought a Bontrager Trek 4.7 for £420 which is a lightweight commuter (straight handlebars). Very pleased with it but it's not £1700 worth, they do have more expensive ones though.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I'd prefer something that combines electric assistance with the size/weight and convenience of a bike. E.g, something I can still nip onto pavements/grass with and park in a cycle place. Just a little motor good for 20 miles would do. And not something I need a helmet, insurance, MOT and tax for.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    I'd prefer something that combines electric assistance with the size/weight and convenience of a bike. E.g, something I can still nip onto pavements/grass with and park in a cycle place. Just a little motor good for 20 miles would do. And not something I need a helmet, insurance, MOT and tax for.
                    You should be wearing a cycle helmet anyway.

The electric moped needs no road tax (or it is "free"). MOT only after 3 years.

Comment

Working...
                    X