• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mugabe aide tells West: 'Go hang'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mugabe aide tells West: 'Go hang'

The African Union can go hang.

Originally posted by expat View Post
    The African Union can go hang.
    I wish someone would hang him.

I hate him too.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
      I wish someone would hang him.
      Wouldn't matter, there are plenty more little Mugabes to take his place. Most of the heads of state of the AU don't allow any more dissent, choice, or freedom than he does. Most of them have been in power for decades, swanning around in Mercs while their people starve.

It's still One Man, One Vote, One time. Maybe several times, if you vote the correct way, on pain of death.

Comment

You are all being far too judgemental from a colonial perspective. We should not impose western values and cultures on them. More respect should be paid to the long history and culture of the various African peoples.

How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
          You are all being far too judgemental from a colonial perspective. We should not impose western values and cultures on them. More respect should be paid to the long history and culture of the various African peoples.

And we should futt the buck out of Africa. Aid budget included.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            And we should futt the buck out of Africa. Aid budget included.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Or weeping mothers?

Or orphans?

Or dismembered innocents?

I do not understand why we our government has not tried harder. I don't mean with weapons or words. I mean with compassion, guidance and diplomacy.

If we had spent 1% of the Gulf War: Rematch budget on Zimbabwe relations, we could have avoided all of this unpleasantness.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

We should leave them to it...I mean, what have they ever given us? It's all take take take...
                "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                  Or weeping mothers?

Or orphans?

Or dismembered innocents?

I do not understand why we our government has not tried harder. I don't mean with weapons or words. I mean with compassion, guidance and diplomacy.

If we had spent 1% of the Gulf War: Rematch budget on Zimbabwe relations, we could have avoided all of this unpleasantness.
                  No, we couldn't. Mugabe is not interested in "relations" with us. The poor people of Zimbabwe do not get to express their interests.

I'm tempted to say that if we had spent 1% of the Gulf War cost on toppling Mugabe, we'd be vilified as racist colonialists, but at least Zimbabweans might be better off and it'd be worth it. As it is, the Zim people get the terror, and we get the vilification anyway.

I'm not lacking in compassion, I just think that our aid budget is a chance to make the world better: that's what it's for. So squandering it is as bad as using it well is good.

Bad: aid to countries where the corrupt elite is like a firewall preventing anything from reaching the people. It does no good, and does positive harm in confirming the dictators that what they are doing is good.

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
                    We should leave them to it...I mean, what have they ever given us? It's all take take take...
                    I don't mind giving to the needy. I don't want to give any more to the Wabenzi.

Comment

Working...
                    X