• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Somthing else to worry about

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somthing else to worry about

We arn't just running out of oil, we're running out of rare earth elements as well.
    Last edited by DaveB; 2 July 2008, 13:53.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    We arn't just running out of oil, we're running out of rare earth elements as well.
    Of course we are, they arent making any more.
    It took millions of years to produce and it has taken us a couple of hundred to use most of it up.
    Unless we learn how to synthesise a lot of the stuff we use, future generations are going to be living in mud huts and eating nuts and berries.
    I will be long dead so I don't care.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
      I will be long dead so I don't care.
      Don't count on that, some of this stuff, Indium, Gallium etc could be exhausted in 5 to 10 years. Even copper and zinc could run out in our lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
        future generations are going to be living in mud huts and eating nuts and berries.
        And will, in all probability, be every bit as contented as pigs in sh*t.
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Don't count on that, some of this stuff, Indium, Gallium etc could be exhausted in 5 to 10 years. Even copper and zinc could run out in our lifetime.
          No worries there, plenty more war memorials about.
          Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            And will, in all probability, be every bit as contented as pigs in sh*t.
            I suspect you may have a point there!
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

if thats the case, watch how fast we learn to recycle it fully!
              I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

It's OK, the Earth will have been swallowed up by a black hole caused by the Large Hadron Collider long before we start to run out of stuff.
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Thats part of the problem though, there isnt really a huge pool of unrecycled copper, for example, to tap into. Copper pipes and wiring go in and tend to stay in. You dont plumb and wire a building and a year later recycle the pipes or wires. You have to replace them with something else and in the case of the copper pipes that is plastic, made from oil.....

Comment

Working...
                  X