• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Useless Buerk

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Useless Buerk

Real-life drama of 999 host Buerk

The star of BBC television programme 999, which recreated real-life rescues, was at the centre of his own drama when his yacht broke down.

Michael Buerk was on board the 43ft yacht Samphire of Poole when its engine failed near Lymington, Hampshire, on Friday.

An RNLI lifeboat was launched and a crew member sailed the yacht to safety.

Buerk said he was pleased to "at last use the life-saving service" after highlighting their skills on his show.

Helmsman Phil Baker, at Lymington lifeboat station, said: "It was certainly a surprise to see Michael on board a vessel we were helping, but an altogether pleasant surprise.

Mr Baker said Buerk is a "great supporter" of the RNLI.

"[He] knows only too well the importance of having reliable help in a crisis," he added.

Buerk, who lives in Guildford, Surrey, said: "The RNLI provides a wonderful service and, while getting into difficulty at sea can never be a good thing, I'm pleased that at last I have been able to use the life-saving service that its volunteers provide."
    So why the hell couldn't he sail it himself?
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Real-life drama of 999 host Buerk

So why the hell couldn't he sail it himself?
    Maneuvering a yacht into a berth under sail is not part of the Dayskipper qualification?

He still should have been able to get it closer to shore though.

Either that or it's been mis-reported by the BBC...
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

You would never want to try to moor a yacht, in a marina, under sail. I would have got it as close as I dare, dropped the anchor and waited on either the coastguard or called the marina to see if they had a pilot launch that could have towed me back.
      "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
        You would never want to try to moor a yacht, in a marina, under sail. I would have got it as close as I dare, dropped the anchor and waited on either the coastguard or called the marina to see if they had a pilot launch that could have towed me back.
        Mooring to a buoy or dropping anchor under sail are covered IIRC.

I agree that a berth is probably a bad idea, but you can normally get close enough to the visitors berth that you can get a line across.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
        X