• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Remember to stay sharp

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember to stay sharp

This sounds some of us might need to keep educating ourselves

new way of programming
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    This sounds some of us might need to keep educating ourselves

new way of programming
    I'll be ok for now - by the time they put 1000+ cores in an iSeries, I think I'll be in stasis, waiting for a long term cure for a disease that hasn't been discovered yet...
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

.NET can cope with anything.

HTH

Comment

Time to brush up my occam skills

Comment

Which processor assumes overall control?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Time to brush up my occam skills
            Did that at university, what with Kent University being quite up on those new-fangled transputers that were going to revolutionise computing. In 1990.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              Which processor assumes overall control?
              It don't work like that.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                Did that at university, what with Kent University being quite up on those new-fangled transputers that were going to revolutionise computing. In 1990.
                They were still using transputers in 1990?

I remember them being launched in 1984... I thought they were pretty much dead in the water by 1990.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  They were still using transputers in 1990?

I remember them being launched in 1984... I thought they were pretty much dead in the water by 1990.
                  Well universities always teach things that are out of date.

I forget. Maybe it was post-transputer, but they were still all talking about parallel computing as the next big thing. I did think Occam's way of grouping PAR and SEQ bits of code was really neat and based something else I did years later on that.

Hopefully there'll be a big surge of companies wanting their old C++ apps rewritten to take advantage of the now common place multi core processors, and those of us with the relevant experience can clean up. Boomed! Haven't seen much evidence yet.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    Well universities always teach things that are out of date.

I forget. Maybe it was post-transputer, but they were still all talking about parallel computing as the next big thing. I did think Occam's way of grouping PAR and SEQ bits of code was really neat and based something else I did years later on that.

Hopefully there'll be a big surge of companies wanting their old C++ apps rewritten to take advantage of the now common place multi core processors, and those of us with the relevant experience can clean up. Boomed! Haven't seen much evidence yet.
                    It seems from Wikipedia that there was still activity in the transputer/occam scene around that time, although it's a bit light on dates.

I always thought they had great potential - I might still have the datasheet for the original transputer somewhere

Comment

Working...
                    X