• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Backdated expenses?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backdated expenses?

I have a general query regarding backdated expenses and am quite new to claiming expenses through the my LTD company. I have been working away from my home in the midlands (also my company's registered address) and decided to rent in london (closer to my work) as it would have been cheaper/easier than booking a hotel every week. I live with family in the midlands where I come back to every weekend, i originally had the idea of renting for 6 months in london then buying a property closer to work (in London). I was told that i would not be able to claim accommodation as it would not be classed as temporary if i bought in London, so i didn't claim for this expense. Circumstances have since changed, and I will not be buying in London but I have 9 months of expenses that I could have claimed. Is it now possible to claim all these expenses or just for the accommodation rented in this financial year?

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you've already done last years accounts, then I think you're stuffed.

But somebody qualified will no doubt be along soon.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Yes, talk to your accountant. However whether the expenses are actually allowable or not is a different matter. In order for the rent to be chargeable ay a minimum you should maintain your own permanent residence elsewhere. It is not clear to me whether you do this - it appear you may not from your description.

Again, you accountant will advise.

Comment

I do maintain a permanent residence which is where the LTD Co. is registered to (over 120) miles away.
        Having spoken to the accountant he said that i will be able to do this as he hasn't submitted my end of year accounts as yet! he's late but it's probably just as well!

Thanks All

Comment

If the expenses are valid (and there is a questionmark over whether they are) then you can "repair" any accounts and CT return you have filed. Might not be the best course of action unless you are 100% certain that the expenses are valid because IME the taxman has a right good look at repaired returns.

Comment

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
            If the expenses are valid (and there is a questionmark over whether they are) then you can "repair" any accounts and CT return you have filed. Might not be the best course of action unless you are 100% certain that the expenses are valid because IME the taxman has a right good look at repaired returns.
            A few thoughts: If the accounts have not yet been filed then surely there is no need to refile.

If the accounts have been filed can't the OP just claim then now and the expense be in this years books (ok not ideal because there ought to have been at least a contingent liability in last year but is it actually necessary to post them back to last year?)

Comment

Working...
            X