• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bankruptcy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bankruptcy

Er, anyone know anything about going bankrupt ...

Serious question.

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

Serious question.
    It's not cool.

Ex-gf's Dad was a discharged bankrupt. Takes forever to get back on an even keel again.

I would avoid it if at all possible - go for an IVA or whatever you can get these days.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      It's not cool.

Ex-gf's Dad was a discharged bankrupt. Takes forever to get back on an even keel again.

I would avoid it if at all possible - go for an IVA or whatever you can get these days.
      From what I understand a large percentage of people who get IVA's eventually end up Bankrupt anyway so far worse off financially than going Bankrupt in the 1st place. You need proper insolvency advice.

Bankruptcy means you will not get Security Clearance so future gigs at many HMG departments will be impossible. Financial institutions also won't touch you with a barge pole for work either, it's a very serious step.

Comment

you'll probably get more worthwhile advice in accounting/legal
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

There may be other options like a DMP or IVA.
          Try moneysavingexpert.com as they have a special board for those considering or who have become bankrupt.
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Absolute last restort when you have no ther options available to you. The consequences are dire. You can lose your house and all assets of value as well as having your income garnished for years afterwards. You are also barred from being a co. dorector, which is not much good if you are a contractor with your own ltd co.

Get proper financial advice.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

IVAs seem to be little more than coming to a deal with your creditors, which is something you could probably do yourself. I.e. they're for the stupid / incapable / Farepackers.

It might be better just to go bankrupt and have done with it. I think it'll make your life miserable for a few years, but so will struggling to pay back debts. My Dad has always said he wished he'd gone personally bankrupt when his business collapsed in the early 90s recession, because by not doing it he had a debt hanging over his head for a number of years.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

IVA's are legally binding agreements between you and your creditors and you need a qualified insolvancy practitioner to handle it for you. You should be able to to keep your house and other assets with an IVA. With bankruptcy you *will* lose them. Essentially with an IVA you agree to a binding contract to repay what you can afford over a set period of time. Your creditorsd in turn agree to accept this as full payment of any outstanding debts and to not demand further repayment over and above that agreed in the IVA. It is a far, far, better option than Bankruptcy.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

Serious question.
                  I told you B-T-L was a bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    You should be able to to keep your house and other assets with an IVA. With bankruptcy you *will* lose them.
                    If you have the house or other assets to cover the debt, then you're not really bankrupt are you? Better to sell yourself and manage the situation than have it forced upon you.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X