• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK government to burn your tenners

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK government to burn your tenners

More than £250 million will be earmarked for education, with plans to get five million Pakistani children into school and to boost training opportunities for young people.

Much of the extra money will go on improving schools in the border areas, in an attempt to tackle poor literacy, particularly among girls, which lags far behind Pakistan’s already low rate of about 50 per cent. There are hopes that such programmes will help the Pakistani Government to counter the influence of the radical madrassas that have become seedbeds of Islamic militancy.

New Government initiative to spend your money (10 quid). Noble intention, but who in their right mind thinks that there is even the smallest possibility that this cash will get spent on anything except bribes, Mercs and aid agency expense accounts? The more I think about it, the more absurd it seems.
    I know this is a bit of a "Sun" argument but couldn't that money be better spent in South London which seems to be in the middle of a low-level war at present?
    Bored.

Great.

All we will end up with, is a better class of well-educated potential terrorist.

Stunning work.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
      [I] but couldn't that money be better spent in South London which seems to be in the middle of a low-level war at present?
      We're in a low level war? I've obviously missed it. Or maybe I'm just 'ard.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        We're in a low level war? I've obviously missed it. Or maybe I'm just 'ard.
        Not that it's not serious, but it's just news making it seem worse cause it's the latest thing to jump on.

Want the murder capital of Western Europe, it's not Sarf London - head north a bit, and west a bit to where the natives speak a bit funny. N'awthat, no?
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

head north a bit, and west a bit to where the natives speak a bit funny.
          Watford ?
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
            Want the murder capital of Western Europe, it's not Sarf London - head north a bit, and west a bit to where the natives speak a bit funny. N'awthat, no?
            Chalfont St Peter?
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

VM wins

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                Great.

All we will end up with, is a better class of well-educated potential terrorist.

Stunning work.
                Perhaps now they will be able to make better bombs as now they will be able to understand the instructions rather than just looking at the pictures
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

You never know, many of the rank and file AQ/Jihadis are uneducated/ignorant even of their own religion from what I gather.

Educating them might actually help more than it hurts. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                    You never know, many of the rank and file AQ/Jihadis are uneducated/ignorant even of their own religion from what I gather.

Educating them might actually help more than it hurts. Just a thought.
                    And it's a good thought. If I thought it would work I would happily give them your money.
                    But how exactly are they going to deliver ("an attempt to tackle poor literacy, particularly among girls...") ?
                    The border areas of Pakistan are synonomous with lawlessness. Girls don't go to school there, they stay in their room, until they're married when they stay in a different room and sometimes go to the market.
                    Bored.

Comment

Working...
                    X