PDA

View Full Version : taking holidays

contractor79
4th July 2008, 14:47
Do you take holidays within contracts?
Lost income + cost of holiday = £thousands

If you're on a £2k/week contract, and a holiday would set you back £1k/week... then taking 6-7 weeks holiday in a year costs you up to £20k

Spartacus
4th July 2008, 14:50
If you thought like that you'd never do anything. Of course there's nothing wrong with trying to maximise your income while you're in a contract but you're not losing anything, you're just not gaining it.

contractor79
4th July 2008, 14:52
If you thought like that you'd never do anything. Of course there's nothing wrong with trying to maximise your income while you're in a contract but you're not losing anything, you're just not gaining it.

agreed
I'm not saying people shouldn't take holidays
need to have a healthy mentality and book the holidays and not worry about the money "lost"

Xenophon
4th July 2008, 14:52
I nearly cracked up after a long period without any time off. It is not worth it. Holidays are all good.

contractor79
4th July 2008, 14:53
apart from week off for last Christmas, bankholidays, the odd day off sick, I've worked non-stop for about 2 years. Taking holidays now.

ratewhore
4th July 2008, 14:55
Wow, that must drop your turnover from what? £150K to £120K per year. How do you get by?

Listen to Spartacus, he's right...

Spartacus
4th July 2008, 14:57
Listen to Spartacus, he's right...
That's because I am ratewhore.

Charles Foster Kane
Do you take holidays within contracts?
Lost income + cost of holiday = £thousands

If you're on a £2k/week contract, and a holiday would set you back £1k/week... then taking 6-7 weeks holiday in a year costs you up to £20k

What's a holiday?

TykeMerc
15 months with nothing apart from Statutory holidays here. One reason I refused to extend my last (very lucrative) gig was I intend to take July and much of August off.
I'm absolutely knackered, yes 6 weeks off > £12k to me, but it's that or fall apart.

Moscow Mule
4th July 2008, 14:58
What's a holiday?

Something you buy from here...

http://www.kuoni.co.uk/

contractor79
4th July 2008, 14:58
sow how many holidays do you guys take
bank holidays and the odd day off takes your weeks worked down from 52 to 50
6 weeks hols takes it down to 44
so do you work 44 weeks perhaps. the contractor calculators tend to use 44 weeks.

Moscow Mule
4th July 2008, 14:59
sow how many holidays do you guys take
bank holidays and the odd day off takes your weeks worked down from 52 to 50
6 weeks hols takes it down to 44
so do you work 44 weeks perhaps. the contractor calculators tend to use 44 weeks.

I use 40.

The Lone Gunman
Your rate should already account for the weeks you wont be working so you are not losing anuthing. You cant afford to think like that.
I reckon to work 45 weeks a year and try to get a rate that allows me the time off. I try to take holidays between contracts, or when the site I am on shuts down like at xmas to maximise income.

Charles Foster Kane
Holidays are for girls. Real contractors work towards a nervous breakdown.

contractor79
4th July 2008, 15:01
but do you not sometimes think about taking no holidays for 2 years. Then you have 6*2 = 12 weeks pay to pay for very long holiday. Trouble is you might die before then.

ratewhore
4th July 2008, 15:08
Generally 6 weeks a year then a 5-6 month break every 3 years.

That's why I contract...

TykeMerc
4th July 2008, 15:11

That's why I contract...

Much the same here although when I've got interesting projects I often fail and do 50 weeks, 50 weeks, 13 weeks off.

chris79
4th July 2008, 15:12
I think people miss the point.

If you have your payroll setup, then technically you would get paid all year round, it's only the income into your company which would suffer by not invoicing for x weeks.

I hear people go on about "oh I lose £x if I take time off", I've also seen the same people suffer BIG TIME during contracts trying to slug it out without a break, it affects their personality, their attitude, their job satisfaction, and ultimately their mental and sometimes physical health.

I work on the basis my company invoices for 46 weeks a year and my payroll spreads this out over 52 weeks, so I have a weekly income all year round. If I'm ever off sick etc, then I just reduce the amount of 'holiday' days I take, as a contractor sick days/holidays are all the same thing to the client it's just an 'unavailable day'.

contractor79
4th July 2008, 15:50

That's why I contract...

that's nice
and someone pointed out the factor of whether contract is an interesting one, that's a fair point.
But I don't like the culture of being in a dull job and just doing it to get 6 weeks off each year. That's 46 weeks of misery.
Lucky right now I'm in an interesting contract so didn't particularly want time off to go anywhere for more than a weekend

contractor79
4th July 2008, 15:52
I think people miss the point.

If you have your payroll setup, then technically you would get paid all year round, it's only the income into your company which would suffer by not invoicing for x weeks..

that's a good point
and I think once you reach a stage where you have a lot in there to cover for many months out of contrac then there's less incentive to work like a dog as it's just numbers.
I mean what difference does it make if you have 30k, 50k, 80k in there.

EternalOptimist
4th July 2008, 16:22
I personally am fked. I just done 10.5 months without a proper break.

Sure the family have all had holidays, but I have to organise them, ship everyone out, look after them , ship em back. I am more knackered afterwards than before.

A proper break is me just festering, swigging beer and playing games, with no earache.

:rolleyes:

Charles Foster Kane
4th July 2008, 16:23
I personally am fked. I just done 10.5 months without a proper break.

Sure the family have all had holidays, but I have to organise them, ship everyone out, look after them , ship em back. I am more knackered afterwards than before.

A proper break is me just festering, swigging beer and playing games, with no earache.

:rolleyes:

Works for me.

Hiram King Of Tyre
4th July 2008, 16:30
I work to live not live to work. Holidays I take just delay my retirement

thunderlizard
4th July 2008, 17:07
My line involves whacking great projects (1-3 years) with several-month breaks in between them. Make hay while the sun shines.

kali
4th July 2008, 17:15
Wow... an interesting, intelligent thread in General - are you guys feeling ok? :wink

contractor79
4th July 2008, 17:20
I work to live not live to work. Holidays I take just delay my retirement

nice attitude

thunderlizard
4th July 2008, 17:27
I really really hate that attitude!

It says "I was not put on this planet to make an effort and achieve something. I was put here to do the bare minimum to make my own life hassle-free".

It's not far from "why work, when I can claim income support?"

chris79
4th July 2008, 17:30
Works for me.

Judging from posts in another thread here you either a) need a holiday, b) need to top your glass up more often, or c) tell porky pies. :rolleyes:

NickFitz
4th July 2008, 18:10

It says "I was not put on this planet to make an effort and achieve something. I was put here to do the bare minimum to make my own life hassle-free".

:confused:

How does slaving away to increase the profits of some capitalist oligarch constitute a better way of life than, say, working just as much as one needs to be able to relax and enjoy time with one's family?

You won't be able to enjoy your "quality time" in the cemetery you know.

thunderlizard
4th July 2008, 18:39
You won't be able to enjoy it but other people will. You can leave behind a charitable foundation, or the cure for cancer, or a business that will provide employment for people, or all sorts of things that mean your life has done some good.

Relaxation and your own enjoyment are a depressingly low ambition.

Charles Foster Kane
4th July 2008, 18:40
You won't be able to enjoy it but other people will. You can leave behind a charitable foundation, or the cure for cancer, or a business that will provide employment for people, or all sorts of things that mean your life has done some good.

Relaxation and your own enjoyment are a depressingly low ambition.

Hot chicks, Italian supercars and driving your speedboat around Monaco in blue skies and sunshine is a hard cross to bear.

Gonzo
4th July 2008, 19:00
I work to live not live to work. Holidays I take just delay my retirementYes but you need to hedge your bets. You would be mightily ****ed off if, having dedicated your life to working so that you would be loaded for your retirement, you cark it a few weeks before your retirement date. That does happen.

NotAllThere
4th July 2008, 19:26
I plan to work 200 days per year. I also have an income target. If I have to work more days to hit the income target, then so be it. Otherwise, I don't worry about it. I work more days if the client asks nicely.

In the first half of this year, I've had 37 days off - including statutory holidays. That's been a quite a few long weekends and two weeks of ski holiday.

Last year I worked 206 days.

One of the best defences I've got when they offer me a permie post is that I don't want to give up my days off.

Bumfluff
4th July 2008, 19:51
Agreed you should take holiday no matter what, I worked non stop for approx 4 years and in terms of relationships its cost me alot. I've learnt my lesson now and you only live once, holidays, family etc are more important than £ in the bank...unless if you go on holiday you cant pay the mortgage :)

Hiram King Of Tyre
5th July 2008, 01:01

Sorry matey, you've totally missunderstood

Archangel
7th July 2008, 08:55
Worked 216 days in the last year, so about 6 weeks off.

Without holidays I would go crazy. Always like to have the next one booked before I get back from the current one so there is something to look forward to.

Ivor Bigun
7th July 2008, 09:31
:confused:

How does slaving away to increase the profits of some capitalist oligarch constitute a better way of life than, say, working just as much as one needs to be able to relax and enjoy time with one's family?

You won't be able to enjoy your "quality time" in the cemetery you know.

The dilemma is this - All contractor hollidays are costed out of the spare cash at end of year. Taking a holiday makes a huge difference.

If you're on a mission to make a lot of money in a short space of time, you have to do at least a 3 year stint with minimal breaks. Of course, you need the acceptance of your partner to do this. It may not be worth it otherwise.

IMO, its a mistake to think of contracting as a career.
Its best to think of it as a footballer does and save for your (early?) retirement.

Its all about goals. Do you want to work all your life?

Nothing beats the feeling of paying off a large mortgage.