• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

more Vista nightmares

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

more Vista nightmares

I keep on getting a very annoying message "low disk space" on my D: drive.
    It's because it's done a backup, or at least most of it.
    There's nothing I can do to save space when I click on the message, so this thing may never go away unless I get rid of it some other way.

Delete some files? Bigger hard disk? Or is that too obvious.

I think you'll find Windows has been doing that popup message for several versions now. Nothing to do with Vista.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      Delete some files?
      well the thing that pops up give me the choice of deleting some files but no files appear for me to choose whether to delete or not

when I go to the drive itself to try and delete things, well I don't identify what the files are for, and vista so intimidatingly asks me "are you sure" each time I do something so I let it be

Comment

There is a really good utility you can download called Sequoia View, that shows you the sizes of all the files and folders on your disk in a brilliantly easy-to-understand way. It's really easy to spot files that are huge and that you don't need any more.

Also don't forget to empty the recycle bin.

Comment

Treesize also does a similar job

Comment

the methods the windows uses to saves disk space only really work on system disks. On other disks you'll have to work out what you need to keep, archive or trash.

Basic computer maintenance and as has been pointed out, not a vista flaw, just PEBKAC
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
              There is a really good utility you can download called Sequoia View, that shows you the sizes of all the files and folders on your disk in a brilliantly easy-to-understand way. It's really easy to spot files that are huge and that you don't need any more
              Great utility! Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X