• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Liebour Scum

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Liebour Scum

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7489208.stm

Quote: "Of the 172 who voted to keep the old system of allowances, subjected to internal audits, 146 were Labour MPs."
    "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Tell me you weren't expecting anything else?
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Great statement from Peter Kilfoyle MP:

"Why should someone come round my office and do an effective time and motion study on my staff - when I'm technically self employed?"

Hmm, wonder if he's got a substitution clause written in there? I'm sure there's control and direction from the Liebour Whips.
      "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave.Mac View Post

"Why should someone come round my office and do an effective time and motion study on my staff - when I'm technically self employed?"

Hmm, wonder if he's got a substitution clause written in there? I'm sure there's control and direction from the Liebour Whips.
        Self-employed? My arse!

They are effectively employed by their constituents and paid (indirectly) from the purse of the taxpayer.

Self-employment is a status that has to be earned through hard work and good relations with your clients - in thier case the electorate.

Most MP's could not survive if they were genuinely self-employed.

The majority of them couldn't run the proverbial whelk stall.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave.Mac View Post

Unless "technically" means "sort of", that is not a matter of opinion but a statement of fact, verifiably by reference to the authority who decides:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/ir56.htm

Broadly, you are

self-employed if you are in business on your own account and bear the responsibility for the success or failure of that business, and
          employed if you personally work under the control of someone and do not run the risks of having a business yourself.

Employed or self-employed?
          Employee

If you can answer 'Yes' to all of the following questions, you are probably an employee.

Do you have to do the work yourself?
          Can someone tell you at any time what to do, where to carry out the work or when and how to do it?
          Do you work a set amount of hours?
          Can someone move you from task to task?
          Are you paid by the hour, week, or month?
          Can you get overtime pay or bonus payment?

Self-employed

If you can answer 'Yes' to all of the following questions, it will usually mean you are self-employed.

Can you hire someone to do the work for you or engage helpers at your own expense?
          Do you risk your own money?
          Do you provide the main items of equipment you need to do your job, not just the small tools many employees provide for themselves?
          Do you agree to do a job for a fixed price regardless of how long the job may take?
          Can you decide what work to do, how and when to do the work and where to provide the services?
          Do you regularly work for a number of different people?
          Do you have to correct unsatisfactory work in your own time and at your own expense?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            Do you have to do the work yourself?
            Yes. An MP has to do the 'work' personally and cannot substitute another (unelected) person to undertake the work.

Ergo: they are employed, by the House of Commons.

Also, MP's have PAYE deducted from their salary.

Self-employed? My buttocks!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I dont care if they are self employed or whatever. This issue just makes me angry.
              I understand the need for MPs to have 2 homes and we (the tax payers) should be obliged to cover the costs.
              What I dont understand is why the expense set up is as it is. There are far better cheaper solutions. Not only that but I also feel that we should all be subject to the same laws including on tax and expenses.

I am not allowed to claim expenses on a property I own (or have mortgaged), why should they?
              I dont get a choice as to which is my main residence when it comes to CGT, why should they?
              I can employ my wife but I have to show she is making a comensurate contribution, why shouldn't they.

I am not going to get into rant mode on this one, but I am close..
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Unfortunately and entirely unsurprisingly since they make the rules for us all they're able to vote themselves entirely unfair advantages.

The whole thing with MP's expenses is so bent you could use it to reliably remove a cork.

Corrupt bunch of w*nkers the lot of them, just like all politicians. They all have their snouts very firmly in the trough and there's bugger all anyone can do to remove the trough. It will make no odds what the Government of the day is this situation will never change.

Comment

I suggest you listen to the podcast for the Victoria Derbyshire on 5 live this morning - I heard the show and was absolutely ripping after.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/podcasts/5lnpi/
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                  X