• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It only took them 7 years

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It only took them 7 years

the Food and Agricultural Organisation and the World Health Organisation have decided - after seven years of debate - what qualifies as a proper tomato.

The ruling means tomatoes may be round, ribbed, oblong or elongated, or can be cherry tomatoes or cocktail tomatoes. Other characteristics include being clean, whole, fresh in appearance, and free from foreign smells and pests.

Didn't know there was any other kind FFS

Linky
    Me, me, me...

I saw that story, but what I thought was even weirder was that

'To be subject to VAT, a product "must be wholly, or substantially wholly, made from the potato".

'But he said that Pringles did not meet these criteria - being made from potato flour, corn flour, wheat starch and rice flour together with fat and emulsifier, salt and seasoning, with a potato content of about 42%.'

So in other words, food made predominantly from minimally-processed natural ingredients (potato, vegetable oil, salt) is subject to VAT, whereas the mishmash of highly processed food-like substances that is Pringles is VAT-free.

Way to encourage a healthy diet, HMG

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      I saw that story, but what I thought was even weirder was that

'To be subject to VAT, a product "must be wholly, or substantially wholly, made from the potato".

'But he said that Pringles did not meet these criteria - being made from potato flour, corn flour, wheat starch and rice flour together with fat and emulsifier, salt and seasoning, with a potato content of about 42%.'

So in other words, food made predominantly from minimally-processed natural ingredients (potato, vegetable oil, salt) is subject to VAT, whereas the mishmash of highly processed food-like substances that is Pringles is VAT-free.

Way to encourage a healthy diet, HMG
      Hasn't it always been the case that fast food, junk food etc is cheaper than decent healthy food? A visit to Iceland (not the country), confirms this for me.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
        Hasn't it always been the case that fast food, junk food etc is cheaper than decent healthy food? A visit to Iceland (not the country), confirms this for me.
        Yes, but that's primarily due to economies of scale, being able to use poorer-quality ingredients due to processing and additives, and so forth.

I'm objecting to the fact that the (marginally) more natural food attracts VAT, while the pre-digested garbage is VAT-free. This makes no sense at all.

Comment

Working...
        X