• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fireball....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fireball....

At mum's house for bbq as sister over from Bermuda for the weekend.

I did the unthinkable and used a gallon container of petrol - yes, the cannister caught fire, one hell of an inferno in the patio, used hose pipe, spread the fire the size of a tennis court, melted leaves, drain ablaze and cover melting.

Mum watching coronation street oblivious....

We are talking a whole gallon container spreading out a large area.

I explained the water from hosing down the dog peeing on the outside table....

Got a comment about the patio being black in an area later on.

Removed the charred remains of cannister, so, I think I have got away with it!!, but, more relieved to be unmarked and for the house to still be standing....

Phew, nearly lost the house - mad to think about it!!! Maddest of all is that mum has nooo idea, thankfully!!

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post

I did the unthinkable and used a gallon container of petrol - yes, the cannister caught fire, one hell of an inferno in the patio, used hose pipe, spread the fire the size of a tennis court, melted leaves, drain ablaze and cover melting.

Mum watching coronation street oblivious....

We are talking a whole gallon container spreading out a large area.

I explained the water from hosing down the dog peeing on the outside table....

Got a comment about the patio being black in an area later on.

Removed the charred remains of cannister, so, I think I have got away with it!!, but, more relieved to be unmarked and for the house to still be standing....

Phew, nearly lost the house - mad to think about it!!! Maddest of all is that mum has nooo idea, thankfully!!
    You may regret posting this!

Just a premonition

Eh! Sas
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Unreal character!!! Seriously, whoever this is.

Unbelievable...

Comment

Complete fantasy.

Lucy, take your medication.

Seriously.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Hadoken!

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
            Unreal character!!! Seriously, whoever this is.

Unbelievable...
            WHS++

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post

I did the unthinkable and used a gallon container of petrol - yes, the cannister caught fire, one hell of an inferno in the patio ..
              You're as mad as a mongoose.

If that cannister had exploded, with more than a few drops of petrol in it, and you were anywhere near it you'd almost certainly be dead.

P.S. Paradoxically, almost empty petrol cannisters are far more dangerous than almost full ones.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

And this year's Darwin award goes to...
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  You're as mad as a mongoose.

If that cannister had exploded, with more than a few drops of petrol in it, and you were anywhere near it you'd almost certainly be dead.

P.S. Paradoxically, almost empty petrol cannisters are far more dangerous than almost full ones.
                  Can I ask why that is? Is it to do with petrol fumes?

<BP in Wilmslow mode>

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Can I ask why that is? Is it to do with petrol fumes?

<BP in Wilmslow mode>
                    Liquid petrol gives of a vapour which burns. Petrol does not explode. (I'm not sure if petrol even burns.)

Petrol vapour (a fuel) and air mixed will combust explosively.

In an enclosed space, the heating of the rapidly burning gases will expand explosively.

Dropping a lit match into a nearly empty petrol can will make it explode.

However, spilled petrol runs along the ground giving off vapour as it does so. That is what makes petrol so dangerous: it's ability to run into storm drains and ditches and cracks in foundations long before it is burned away.
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X