• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New York trip

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New York trip

At the end of October my wife and me are heading to New York to celebrate my 40th. Our time there will be limited - Saturday to Wednesday night. Having never been to NY what are the top tips for things to do/see and any good places to eat. Our hotel is just off Time Square so we are pretty central
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    At the end of October my wife and me are heading to New York to celebrate my 40th. Our time there will be limited - Saturday to Wednesday night. Having never been to NY what are the top tips for things to do/see and any good places to eat. Our hotel is just off Time Square so we are pretty central
    I was there a year ago.

We used New York Party Shuttle Tours - a really good tour company that leaves from Times Square. The buses are large mini buses, so, much more personal than a coach full of old fogies.... - url here: http://www.newyorkpartyshuttle.com/

Also, things like go to Statue of Liberty islands, Empire state building. A trip to Broadway is a must, we saw the Lion King, and went to Ellens Diner for burgers - the diner where broadway wannabe's sing and adds to a really good atmosphere. China Town also has some pretty good places - just get out and about! http://www.ellensstardustdiner.com/

Shopping wise - Macy's is the most awesome department store at really unbelieveable service and prices.

Have you booked and paid for your hotel? Check out the Hyatt literally above Central Station, incredibly well placed for transport links.

Comment

Cheers for that. I've booked everything. Flights came in at £750 for both - not the cheapest, but I'm trying to get an upgrde to business and I'm going to use my points with American Airlines for that. The Hotel is a Marriot on which cost me nowt because of my points - its just off broadway and times square - Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
        Cheers for that. I've booked everything. Flights came in at £750 for both - not the cheapest, but I'm trying to get an upgrde to business and I'm going to use my points with American Airlines for that. The Hotel is a Marriot on which cost me nowt because of my points - its just off broadway and times square - Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square
        You are very well placed there, and in the thick of most things.

Do the Shuttle Tour as early as possible - both to get bearings and to pick guides brains. there are also the new york guide buses, but, nowhere near the quality of Party Shuttle - just get subway and walk once you know where you are - tour also does Brooklyn Bridge and the Free Staten Island Ferry. Awesone views of the NYC skyline here....

Bloomingdales also ok store, but, the service, variety and prices of Macy's are I believe the best of the two.

Oh yes, get a cocktail in the sky bar in the Times Square Marriott - also a very cool looking restuarant there. Not that we had time to dine there, but, the best dining view in NYC.

Enjoy!!

Comment

Never been, but I've heard lots of good things. Have a great trip!
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Don't bother with the Statue of Liberty. You'll queue for three hours, then stand shoulder to shoulder with sweaty tourists for 45 minutes on the ferry, then spend an hour in Liberty Island, go inside the statue look up at a glass ceiling. You can't go up inside any more. Waste of valuable time and money.
            You get a good enough view from the free Staten island ferry.

Empire State Building is good, if guys come up to you in the queue offering to let you skip on quicker if you do the Skyride, then do it. The Skyride itself is not fantastic, but you do get to skip 80% of the queue up to the observation deck. Dearer, but time is more valuable than noney on a NY trip.

If you're near Times Sq (which hotel?) then you have to have a sandwich at Maxies. Overpriced tourist food, and great for it.

Any more questions drop me a PM. been there loads of times, even the bad bits.
            Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
              Don't bother with the Statue of Liberty. You'll queue for three hours, then stand shoulder to shoulder with sweaty tourists for 45 minutes on the ferry, then spend an hour in Liberty Island, go inside the statue look up at a glass ceiling. You can't go up inside any more. Waste of valuable time and money.
              You get a good enough view from the free Staten island ferry.

Any more questions drop me a PM. been there loads of times, even the bad bits.
              Agreed about the queues just to see the glass bottom and the walk around the base.

However.... Still well worth doing this for the Ellis Isnald part of the trip. If you can get a trip to Ellis Island only without the statue of liberty part, if time is short, do just that. If you have a spare couple of hours, then, do the statue as well.... although you just see the base, it is still quite incredible

Comment

If you are going up the Empire State Building (and you should!) get there first thing in the morning. We went on the Skyride, but wasn't impressed. I don't about using it to jump the queue because it hadn't built up when we were there.

We also went to the top of the Rockefeller building at night (its the one that all of the photos of the construction workers are sat on when eating their butties when building it) - fantastic views. I preferred it to the Empire State.

If you do get the boat onto Liberty and Ellis Island, again, make sure you get there first thing. Also, don't spend too much time on Liberty, get back on the boat ASAP and get over to Ellis. There is a fair bit to look at, and it's more interesting.

Warning - If you are getting a taxi from the airport, the driver will expect you to pay any road tolls during the route. We jumped on some guys minibus, and got a mini tour of New Year whilst he dropped on the other people off - Much cheaper than a taxi

Comment

To add to what the others have said (all good advice):

I enjoyed visiting the Statue of Liberty (although it was closed at the time post 9/11), our photos of Manhattan from Liberty Island are amongst the best we got.

We enjoyed the Guggenhein (sp?) museum (I like pop art).

We walked along 5th Avenue all the way to Central Park, and walked past the Dakota Building (John Lennon).

SoHo well worth a nosy round.

Comment

I recommend the helicopter tour.

I agree with the shuttle tour recs too. Especially in the evening.

Comment

Working...
                    X