• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why is Tim Henman's face all over the papers again?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is Tim Henman's face all over the papers again?!

When did he become a Tennis Expert/Pundit? He was never any good at playing, and probably even worse at evaluating! Come on Tim, get a life and move on!

Originally posted by AZZIK View Post
    When did he become a Tennis Expert/Pundit? He was never any good at playing, and probably even worse at evaluating! Come on Tim, get a life and move on!

That's kind of the problem with British sports fans, so he never won a major - he reached a few semi's and got pretty high in the world rankings, by any standard that's pretty bloody good. But not for us, oh noo ...
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
      That's kind of the problem with British sports fans, so he never won a major - he reached a few semi's and got pretty high in the world rankings, by any standard that's pretty bloody good. But not for us, oh noo ...
      Yeah, he reached eight Wimbledon quarter-finals, and went through to four semi-finals. Greg Rusedski reached one semi-final. I don't know why they keep trying to rename Henman Hill to "Murray Mount" or whatever. It should always be Henman Hill after that whole era when he was the great British hope at Wimbledon.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
        Yeah, he reached eight Wimbledon quarter-finals, and went through to four semi-finals. Greg Rusedski reached one semi-final. I don't know why they keep trying to rename Henman Hill to "Murray Mount" or whatever. It should always be Henman Hill after that whole era when he was the great British hope at Wimbledon.
        It was always Hope

Comment

Originally posted by AZZIK View Post
          It was always Hope
          Yeah, but it was more hope than we've got at the moment. I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but Murray doesn't exude anything like the same belief. At least with Henman it seemed a possibility that he could do it.

Comment

I must admit I was interested to see the news about Laura Robson being the 14 year old "British Champion"... keen to see if this meant English or God forbid a Scot it took some digging to find out she was born in Melbourne and came here when she was six... another import! why can't we produce native talent after all the millions pumped into grass roots tennis?

Comment

Originally posted by ArthurBigot View Post
              I must admit I was interested to see the news about Laura Robson being the 14 year old "British Champion"... keen to see if this meant English or God forbid a Scot it took some digging to find out she was born in Melbourne and came here when she was six... another import! why can't we produce native talent after all the millions pumped into grass roots tennis?
              To be fair, she is a product of our grass roots tennis system if she came here at six.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by ArthurBigot View Post
                Is there millions poured into tennis at grass roots? Or any sports other than football.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                  Is there millions poured into tennis at grass roots?
                  So they say although I've never seen any evidence of it.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
                    <rant>Oh how I hate this "yes he's a failiure, but he's OUR failure" attitude. We saw this misplaced loyalty with Eddie "The Eagle" (FFS!) Edwards. The simple fact is that while these guys had the highly laudable notion of 'having a go', they simply weren't good enough to win, so we should applaud their plucky effort and move on, not continue to revere them as some latter-day saints. The other inescapable truth is that somewhat quirkily, despite not actually becoming the best in their field, they have become fairy rich.

If a PM constantly failed to put a project to bed either on time or to budget, or a programmers' apps always corrupted data, would they be hailed as shining examples of their crafts, have things named after them, or have their actions (or lack of) defended by people who don't even know them personally?

I suspect not.

</rant>
                    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Working...
                    X