• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business trip to USA - advice please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business trip to USA - advice please

OK - I'm going over to Boston next week business trip - advice please.
    One person here has said I should say Im on holiday - saves lots of hassles apparently on entry. What are other people's opinion / experiences of this?
    Also any other advice - its my first time out of the country this kind of distance since 1983. Sad I know but true.
    Touristy stuff isnt very applicable - I have almost NO free time
    Thanks

An intimate inspection of your backside is de rigeur at US customs nowadays.
    Don't be surprised by this.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

How long do you need to stay. If its only a few days it should be okay to say you are there for client meetings.

Be sure to bleach your skin. Any olive tones will get you a free holiday in cuba.
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by dmini View Post
        One person here has said I should say Im on holiday - saves lots of hassles apparently on entry. What are other people's opinion / experiences of this?
        Also any other advice - its my first time out of the country this kind of distance since 1983. Sad I know but true.
        Thanks
        Buy a travel adapter far your UK plugs.

Comment

Originally posted by dmini View Post
          Thanks
          First time I went, I said I was there for work. The beggars nearly put me on the first plane home, accusing me of stealing American jobs. They really are a-holes.

Another time I said for holiday, they asked me lots of questions about my "vacation" and asked why I had a laptop etc.

These days I say I'm there for business meetings or training. They seem to like the idea that "head office" is in the US of A and us stupid Brits have to come over to get clued up.

Morons.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
            How long do you need to stay. If its only a few days it should be okay to say you are there for client meetings.
            Personally I wouldn't mention the "C" word.

Comment

Don’t try and be helpful, but just respond to instructions or questions in the simplest way.

Take you laptop out of your case and place it on top of your baggage for scanning.

Don’t smile at immigration. Just like all dogs, if you show your teeth it will be taken as a sign of aggression.

Do not claim to be on holiday when there is any evidence of you attending meetings.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Tell them that you really need to get through customs quickly as you don't know how long you have till your shoes blow up. That should get you through the gate pretty quickly. They really don't have any sort of sense of humour.

I used to do the meetings thing.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                  Tell them that you really need to get through customs quickly as you don't know how long you have till your shoes blow up. That should get you through the gate pretty quickly. They really don't have any sort of sense of humour.

I used to do the meetings thing.

Rawhide!
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I'll be there just under 2 weeks
                    I'm not sure the holiday idea would work well anyway - female on her own travelling to non-major holiday destination (and I'm not that good at lying anyway)
                    Last edited by dmini; 7 July 2008, 14:26.

Comment

Working...
                    X