• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

24 month rule: how exact?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24 month rule: how exact?

I've just been offered a renewal of my current contract, to carry on working at the same location.

I started my contract 11/06/07 and the renewal will run until 14/06/09

This will mean I have worked at the same location for 24 months and 3 days. Do the 3 days matter in terms of the 24 month rule? Is it worth asking them to shorten it?

Originally posted by Robster View Post
    I've just been offered a renewal of my current contract, to carry on working at the same location.

This will mean I have worked at the same location for 24 months and 3 days. Do the 3 days matter in terms of the 24 month rule? Is it worth asking them to shorten it?
    Yes. The expense for the second renewal will not be chargeable AT ALL. It's when you know it over 24 months that it ceases to be chargeable, not when it actually goes over 24 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Robster View Post

The restriction start as soon as you *know* you will be going over the 24 minth limit, not when it actually happens. If it's a matter of a few days get your extenstion dates changed to make sure you fall inside the limit or you will lose the expenses the minute you sign it.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I realised that it was from the moment I knew it would be beyond 24 months, but I thought perhaps it was counted in whole calendar months.

Thanks for the replies

Comment

get the contract torn up and a new one signed which is 4 days shorter!
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
            Yes. The expense for the second renewal will not be chargeable AT ALL. It's when you know it over 24 months that it ceases to be chargeable, not when it actually goes over 24 months.
            In the current market who "knows" they will see the end of their contract?

I reckon book it...it's their fault the toilet's been flushed....
            Last edited by max; 8 July 2008, 12:29.

Comment

Originally posted by max View Post
              In the current market who "knows" they will see the end of their contract?

I reckon book it...it's their fault the toilet's been flushed....
              Very true, but the rules are based on *expectation*

At the extreme if you signed a contract for 2 years at the outset then the exes aren't claimable, if you get canned after 18 month for any reason they don't become chargeable.

Comment

Thanks for this thread, I hadn't appreciated that the rule worked exactly this way. Dodged a bit of a bullet refusing the extension offered on my last gig as that would have firmly put me over 2 years.
                Mind you my office location had changed 3 times so the geographical element might have saved my bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                  Thanks for this thread, I hadn't appreciated that the rule worked exactly this way. Dodged a bit of a bullet refusing the extension offered on my last gig as that would have firmly put me over 2 years.
                  Mind you my office location had changed 3 times so the geographical element might have saved my bacon.
                  Is your travel expense substantial relative to your contract income?

I've never heard of anyone ever getting collared for it...probably does happen ..I guess. But hardly the worst thing we do.

Comment

On a related note; can anyone advise on the following situations? In relation to the status of my being able to claim expenses for living accomodation etc

Assuming my company registered in Birmingham.

1) I work in Manchester for 2 yrs then transfer to another office of clientco in the same city

2) I work in Manchester for 2 yrs then transfer to another office of clientco in Liverpool but want to keep my temporary location in Manchester because I dont mind the short commute

3) Which is the relevant section that would be examined for evidence of my presence in a location? Is it the office assigned in my contract (if there is one)? If there isnt one then what stops people claiming to be working in various parts of the country to avoid the cessation of expenses claims?
                    The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven

Comment

Working...
                    X