• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Connecting while on train

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connecting while on train

I'm thinking of doing my weekly continental commute on the train, and combining it with a Home Office Day by connecting to the network on the laptop while travelling.

Has anybody tried this? Can you practicably remain connected for hours on a train, and get work done?

Can you afford the data connection, in other countries?

(Didn't put this in Technical because et the moment I'm looking for experiences, not hardware/service advice).

Originally posted by expat View Post
    I'm thinking of doing my weekly continental commute on the train, and combining it with a Home Office Day by connecting to the network on the laptop while travelling.

Has anybody tried this? Can you practicably remain connected for hours on a train, and get work done?

(Didn't put this in Technical because et the moment I'm looking for experiences, not hardware/service advice).
    I recently used my USB 3G dongle while abroad in France. Coverage was patchy (defaulted to GPRS a lot), but the main problem is the roaming cost - £3 per MB seems fairly standard.

Connecting while on the move will be the same as using a mobile on a train - you'll cut out fairly frequently as you go out of cell range. I guess if you just "burst" send/receive email then it would be less of an issue, but does your work require you to be connected continuously?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post

There's a big rant in the EU at the moment about roaming data charges (like one fella being charged £32000 for downloading a video whilst on holiday).

Until the EU mandate a cap on charges, you might find it prohibitively expensive unless you use a local provider.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

probably simpler to fly and use the wireless networks in the airport if your time is that important
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          probably simpler to fly and use the wireless networks in the airport if your time is that important
          But I HATE the airports and the whole flying experience! That is what I'm trying to avoid.

Yes, the time is important, because my commute takes a lot of it. Flying, it takes 6 hours home to office, and little of that is usable connection time. In fact on my commute, it's broken up into so many pieces* that it's pretty well all wasted time. Did I say that I hate the whole flying experience? 8 usable hours on the train would be much better than 6 useless hours doing the flights, it'd be like gaining a day.

Unfortunately I am talking about connecting to the database, not just email and documents.

-------
          * walk to station, train to London, tube or taxi to other station, train to Heathrow, flight, train to other town.

Comment

Plenty of people on my commute seem to use their laptops/internet quite happily. Personally I've found I can't really concentrate on much else other than emails when on the train. Besides I like to look at the ladees, there was a very pretty one sitting opposite me this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
              Plenty of people on my commute seem to use their laptops/internet quite happily. Personally I've found I can't really concentrate on much else other than emails when on the train. Besides I like to look at the ladees, there was a very pretty one sitting opposite me this morning.
              Yeah: email + writing documents, while in the UK, I can get. I need to know how it goes in other countries. Might just have to try it.

Comment

Do continental trains have free wifi?

(If they do I hope it's better than National Express East Coast's offering, I struggled to stay connected, and ended up using my 3 connection)

Comment

Don't know about the free wifi on continental trains, however I do use it on the East Coast Line from Leeds to London - It works well enough for email and browsing, but forget any streaming applications like music, video and stuff.

You can't even make use of the BBC iPlayer, because the National Express link-up uses a non UK ip address which means that the Beeb thinks tou are trying to access their beloved content from abroad!!

3G USB dongle works OK in the UK and for about £15 per 3GB per month, not a bad service - Abroad of course is a different matter!!!

Kevlong

Comment

Working...
                  X