• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Organising weekel EU commute

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Organising weekel EU commute

I'll try being smart for once, and ask the real question behind my 3G-on-train question.

I live in Bedfordshire (take that as non-variable for now). I work in somewhere in continental Europe (let's say NL at the moment, could be other places at other times). I want to spend time at home with my partner. I can work from home 1 day a week.

So if I plan it right, I can work away 5 days, but spend 4 evenings/nights at home. That's already not bad.

But there is a lot of wasted time in there. And some things that I'd like to change if I can:
    1. Unless you live and work in departure/destination cities (I don't), flying takes a long time. London to Amsterdam is not bad, Bedfordshire to (elsewhere) takes a lot longer. 6 hours each way wasted.
    2. That time is so fragmented, it's not much use for anything.
    3. I have to do at least one of the following, which I don't like:
    - get up ridiculously early on the 1st travelling day of the week
    - get home too late, and unpredictably so, on the last travelling day of the week
    - work long hours while away.

So I want to use the time better. The work-on-train idea came from the fact that 8 useful hours travelling would be vastly superior to 6 hours wasted; but looking wider, has anyone else come up with some good ideas for doing the weekly commute better.

PS the following are not available:
    retire
    work close to home
    live close to work
    work less

There are flights to other NL cities - you don't have to fly to AMS
    try and increase the working from home time too - i'm only away 3 nights a week these days, and if i could be bothered to get up early on tuesdays then it would only be 2 nights a week
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      There are flights to other NL cities - you don't have to fly to AMS
      try and increase the working from home time too - i'm only away 3 nights a week these days, and if i could be bothered to get up early on tuesdays then it would only be 2 nights a week
      I'm in Utrecht, Schiphol is the best bet. Rotterdam and Eindhoven are possible but have no advantage to me; some flights are worse in fact, I'd have to get to Stansted.

Luton - AMS wasn't bad but Easyjet have stopped the 9:10 flight. 6:00 flight is too early, the stress of needing to get up at 4 ruins even the short sleep that I might have. The return flights are so unreliable, I kept planning for dinner then missing it, dinner ruined, partner hungry then eating alone then impatient then off to bed with resentful text message.... I'm just trying to avoid all this stuff.

Increasing home working time would be good. Might see what I can do.

Comment

FWIW my next plan is this:
        1. work Monday from home (so enjoy Sunday incl being able to drink on Sun).
        2. Drive Mon eve to Harwich, overnight ferry to Hoek.
        3. Tue in office "normal" time (as against lunchtime).
        4. Drive back Fri to Tunnel. Pick up wine & cigs on the way.

I'm just wondering what others have tried out.

BTW that avoids:
        a) leaving home and family on Sunday evening.
        b) lousy night's sleep on Monday waiting for 4am alarm to ring.
        c) tracking all the way across London on this train and that. I hate it.
        d) Heathrow. I hate it.
        e) being cramped in next to other people on the flight, listening to cabin staff spiels.
        f) driving to Heathrow and being caught in an unexpected 1-hour traffic jam, knowing that the cost is not just 1 hour net delay, but 3 hours and £400 for another flight.
        g) shuffling forward in security queues, immigration queues, and checkin/boarding queues.
        h) wondering if I've packed something that is not carry-on this week.
        etc etc.

Comment

Get the train from Bedfordshire to Newcastle, that must be a few hours, then get the ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam which is another 16 hours and then the train from Amsterdam to Utrecht. Sorted, you'll never be at home then.
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Whats wrong with Stansted? I've flown to and from there a few times and not found it any better or worse than the others.
            Its relatively small compared to Heathrow which can only be a good thing!
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Whats wrong with Stansted? I've flown to and from there a few times and not found it any better or worse than the others.
              Absolutely, the Heathrow Experience is to be avoided!

But Stansted is a bit far from me. My other plan is to take the train to Birmingham and fly from there. It's a bit restrictive in choice, though, and eye-wateringly more expensive in season if you leave it too late.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                Get the train from Bedfordshire to Newcastle, that must be a few hours, then get the ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam which is another 16 hours and then the train from Amsterdam to Utrecht. Sorted, you'll never be at home then.
                The idea is to spend more time at home.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  Absolutely, the Heathrow Experience is to be avoided!

But Stansted is a bit far from me. My other plan is to take the train to Birmingham and fly from there. It's a bit restrictive in choice, though, and eye-wateringly more expensive in season if you leave it too late.
                  are you driving if you go to stansted?
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Stanstead is is fine if you're not travelling with luggage - have often spent over an hour waiting for luggage there.

FWIW, I quite like Heathrow, but it is only 20 mins from my house.
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X