• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you buy a flying car from this man?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you buy a flying car from this man?

Uncle Clive's latest wizard wheeze...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7481940.stm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivor_Catt

I met him while in Fathes 4 Justice - he made various claims about Clive Sinclair.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
      Uncle Clive's latest wizard wheeze...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7481940.stm

Anyone who invents an umberella strong enough to stop the user being crushed to death by a falling flying machine plus their "pilot" and/or passenger should make millions......
      It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Strangley enough he's provided no details on how this might work. He might want to think smaller and start with a fuel powered craft first. "Petrol not reliable enough...would have to manoeuvre itself" This is a big step up from powering a tricycle with a washing machine motor.

I just did a quick calculation and if a 200Kg (mass of man + machine) were powered by a 1m fan, rather than wings, the batteries would need to put out 22KW (22 electric fire bars) to hover.

Comment

Poor old Clive, I think he's running out of steam in his old age and trying to create some PR buzz with wacky idea's.

The Spectrum was his company's best invention, shame they sold the brand/technology to Alan Michael Sugar Trading (Amstrad).

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Strangley enough he's provided no details on how this might work. He might want to think smaller and start with a fuel powered craft first. "Petrol not reliable enough...would have to manoeuvre itself" This is a big step up from powering a tricycle with a washing machine motor.

I just did a quick calculation and if a 200Kg (mass of man + machine) were powered by a 1m fan, rather than wings, the batteries would need to put out 22KW (22 electric fire bars) to hover.
            At least if you use petrol the aircraft gets lighter whilst using the fuel... With batteries you'd be carrying the dead weight...

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              At least if you use petrol the aircraft gets lighter whilst using the fuel... With batteries you'd be carrying the dead weight...
              Plus petrol has at least 10 times the energy density of batteries, i.e. much lighter.

Comment

He's an Inventor, stop being constricted by what's already been invented. Anyone with any common sense would know he's invented an anti gravity propulsion system.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane View Post
                  He's an Inventor, stop being constricted by what's already been invented. Anyone with any common sense would know he's invented an anti gravity propulsion system.
                  **** off,

Seriously

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane View Post
                    The Spectrum was his company's best invention
                    What did he invent to create the Spectrum?

As I recall, it used standard components although he did put them together very cheaply to make a functional machine, but it's not like it was the first microcomputer.

Comment

Working...
                    X