• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best Ground Coffee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Ground Coffee

Following on from the Instant thread, please give some recommendations for ground coffee.

I'm a newbie where ground coffee is concerned, but have a very good espresso machuine. Usually make Latte.

I liked Waitrose Columbian.
    And Gaggia Intense (Pods)

Thanks

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
    And Gaggia Intense (Pods)
    Ach

Step 1: Get yourself a grinder.
    Step 2: Buy some good coffee beans. I've been told the Jamaican Blue Mountain variety are the best, but I prefer a harsher taste, so I buy Illy 100% Arabica, works for me.
    Step 3: Put the coffee beans in an airtight container and keep them in the freezer.
    Step 4: When you want a coffee, pop the kettle on, grab beans from freezer and grind away (this takes seconds), put coffee in whatever you're using to brew (cafetiere, stovetop espresso thingy, full-on coffee machine like the gaggia cube et al), and away you go.

Since switching to freshly ground, I'd say the coffee's 2 or 3 times better than pre-ground, easily. Chuck the pods in the bin, they're disgusting.

And yes, I'm a coffee snob, sorry about that.

Comment

Agree - Beans are SO much better than ground! I use one of those stovetop espresso makers, drink the whole lot and I'm buzzing for hours after that!

Tesco Finest Columbian beans are really nice, and Harrods do some lovely flavoured ones if you fancy splashing out.

Comment

My favourite is a blend of Javan and Costa Rican beans, freshly ground.
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I agree with RH, having joined the Gaggia owner's club in November 2007, and starting to make and appreciate coffee properly.

I wouldn't recommend Jamaican Blue Mountain in anything but a cafetiere, since part of the brewing process involves the 4-minute water/coffee infusion.

An espresso machine will force hot water through the brewing head and coffee basket in about 6-7 seconds per dose.

Therefore you won't get the full richness of the percolation process.

I've also tried a number of "Jamaican Blue Mountains" from a variety of shops in the UK, and I personally think there is something odd going on. In theory, the taste should be fairly identical across the board, but in practice, it varies widely. This, to my mind, is more than just different drying techniques from the assorted farms.

Suffice to say, the only JBM beans that I can rate over the last few months have been the beans sold at Fortnum & Masons.

For espresso, I also prefer the Illy espresso beans.

I did receive a present the other week of some beans from a Farmer's Market, where there was a coffee trader present, and these beans were fantastic. I'll pop along next month and find out more details.
          Last edited by Board Game Geek; 8 July 2008, 16:19.
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Cheers for the tips BGG - the JBM beans I bought were from Whittards. Disappointing really, even after 4 min I found the coffee too understated and bland, not as complex as I'd have liked - will investigate Fortnum & Mason, and appreciate any other advice. Bought my dad a Gaggia Cube for his birthday and he seems pleased with it, having owned a few espresso machines.

Comment

No worries.

I am concerned about the JBM fiasco out there at the moment.

I've almost come to the conclusion that some beans, provided they were grown within a 1000 x zoom telescope's sight of Blue Mountain, manage to get labelled as "Blue Mountain", even though there are supposed to be stringent rules on labelling this product.

I've even seen some beans called "Jamaican Blue", which is just a cynical and devious way to get people to buy a product, thinking it is "Blue Mountain" when in fact it wasn't grown in the area at all.

I'm wary of the JBM pitfalls now :-)

Aye, the Gaggia's are great machines...just make sure he descales regularly.
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

What the hell are you lot doing buying from expensive shops?
                try here www.discountcoffee.co.uk. There are others who deliver too go google.
                Illy, Lavazza and Sagfredo are all good, but we have been using Moka Efti lately.
                We have a built in machine.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                X