• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

4000 jobs gone in housing in a week

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4000 jobs gone in housing in a week

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...t.construction

The severity of the housing downturn was underlined yesterday when Persimmon, one of Britain's biggest home builders, said it had cut 2,000 jobs, bringing the total jobs lost across the industry to more than 4,000 in the past week alone.

Persimmon is cutting 1,100 office staff and 900 weekly paid workers at its building sites, around 40% of its workforce. But none of Britain's housebuilders have escaped. Taylor Wimpey last week said it would lose 900 jobs, Barratt is shedding 1,000, and the smaller Kier Residential is cutting 300, about 60% of its staff. Savills is also cutting jobs, but would not say how many.

The job cuts will add to mounting fears that Britain could be facing recession. City analysts this week said the credit crunch could cause a worse housing slump than the crash in the early 1990s.

I think the next stage is many of the Polish guys working in construction will go home, reducing demand for cheap rented housing, making the BTL situation worse, sparking a big sell off of small houses and flats.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I think the next stage is many of the Polish guys working in construction will go home, reducing demand for cheap rented housing, making the BTL situation worse, sparking a big sell off of small houses and flats.
    You old optimist you !

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...t.construction

I doubt it - I thought they all shared 15 to a room or something
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Plus they're the ones who'll do more, for less. Unlike our locally produced variety ...
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
          I doubt it - I thought they all shared 15 to a room or something
          My mate rents his BTL houses in an area that is predominately Polish. They don't live 15 to a room. Bangladeshi's maybe, but the EU workers live just like we do.

Comment

My mate has just been laid off. Been a QS for the same company for 15 years. went into work last week, they asked him for the keys to his company car (along with 15 other staff) and gave him/them 4 weeks notice.
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Be interesting to watch the houses in my little cul-de-sac.

There are 3 other houses. Next door runs a plumbing business to the construction trade, house opposite is a Chartered Surveyor and and the other house the guy runs a tiling business.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                My mate has just been laid off. Been a QS for the same company for 15 years. went into work last week, they asked him for the keys to his company car (along with 15 other staff) and gave him/them 4 weeks notice.
                The tulips might have let him use the car for the last 4 weeks.
                Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
                  The tulips might have let him use the car for the last 4 weeks.
                  He told me yesterday that they have all been sold already. apparently the deal was already done when they took the keys.
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

The prediction was 550 jobs to be lost per day, hmm.....4000 in a week.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X