• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you spend your hols...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you spend your hols...

reverse engineering a Sky remote control, does that make you a nerd or a geek?

Or just very sad?

is this a poll?
    I vote for all of the above!
    Chico, what time is it?

Comment

If it's the same box that Viasat use I can understand. Gosh is that a seriously poor quality controller. I end up watching Canal digital mainly cause it's just plain easier to change channel.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

It only takes a minute to reverse engineer a remote control surely. And a big hammer.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I thought only permies get holidays

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            reverse engineering a Sky remote control, does that make you a nerd or a geek?

Or just very sad?
            Fifteen years ago I was working in Milton Keynes and staying in a house (in Conniburrow if anyone knows the town) where the owner had a sitting room the length of the house, a good thirty feet long, with the TV at one end and him slouched in a sofa at the other end, usually surrounded by a stack of tinnies. His remote control was a twenty foot long bamboo, which he wielded with amazing dexterity even when pissed as a newt! I had to move out before long though, as he was selling all the furniture to pay for booze.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Well, by dint of much hacking, I've now got to the stage where I can send key zero to the Sky box.

I'd forgotten what a joy 8086 assembler is.

Thank heavens for the example files so considerately included with Tasm V2.

I knew my £10 Compaq Portable III would come in handy one day...

Following which it will be time to suss out if I can fit it all in a PIC...

Comment

8086? Tasm? Wipes a tear from his eye as he fondly remembers all the outdated crap taught at university.

Tell me you're using Kalk32 and I'll cry like a baby.
                Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Originally posted by WageSlave
                  8086? Tasm? Wipes a tear from his eye as he fondly remembers all the outdated crap taught at university.
                  Ah, yes, segment and offset...

Oh the fun to be had with the 80286 prefetch...

Comment

Yup. TASM.

I could have used MASM, but the CD won't fit in the 3.5 inch floppy drive.

My success is limited, so far I have 3 keys that send 0, 3 keys that send 1, one key that sends 2, and 2 keys that send nothing at all.

The only key that corresponds with the desired result is 0.

Bummer.

Not only that, but I can't for the life of me see a logical pattern in the data stream... obviously a two pipe problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X