• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Firefox 3 Stopped working

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox 3 Stopped working

Help!

Both FF3 and IE7 have stopped working on my desktop (XP sp3)! I can however successfully ping the router and www.google.co.uk etc, so any ideas on what's going on??

TIA

Calm down.

I gather that you are logged on with your lappy or phone.
    So what happens exactly when kick FF3 into gear, do you get an "unable to--"
    or does nothing at all happen.
    are you wifi or ethernet cable, modem or broadband?
    Can you run a search from the google front page or is that all you get .
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

I'm calm

I'm connected wifi with my lappy (Ubuntu), no problem.

Desktop is ethernet cable to same router (sky broadband). I get a Network Timeout message when launching FF.

Comment

I hate to state the obvious, but I had the same problem a few weeks back and couldn't figure it out, so I eventually rebooted (obvious) and FF3 worked straight away.
        has happened once or twice since, but a reboot seems to sort it.
        It's only happened since I updated Firefox.

Then again, you've probably already tried that ?

Comment

Yup, tried that several times now. I can still ping the router and websites but cannot connect through FF or IE. I'm getting activity from the network card, but could the ethernet part of the router be broken??

Edit:
          Looks like ZoneAlarm has decided I surf too much and is blocking everything even though the program control settings look ok. What Firewalls do others use?
          Last edited by Badger; 9 July 2008, 22:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
            Yup, tried that several times now. I can still ping the router and websites but cannot connect through FF or IE. I'm getting activity from the network card, but could the ethernet part of the router be broken??
            try rebooting the router too?

Comment

Have you got USB connection on the router as well? if so try that.

Dongle kicking about that you can plug into the desktop to try it on wifi?

Or try this:
              Reset your Internet security software's permissions for Firefox (this includes antivirus and antispyware programs, firewalls, and more). Most of the time you can open a program's settings, remove Firefox from its "Allow" list, and then let it redetect Firefox, and things will start working again. If your program is listed at the Firewalls article here, or at the Firewalls article at MozillaZine, you can get specific instructions for how to properly reconfigure.

Comment

Re-booted the router several times as well. Interestingly I set ZoneAlarm to ask when Firefox attempts to connect and it does not detect it, nor does it detect IE trying to connect.

Think I may reinstall ZA.

Comment

Re-booted the router several times as well. Interestingly I set ZoneAlarm to ask when Firefox attempts to connect and it does not detect it, nor does it detect IE trying to connect.

Think I may reinstall ZA.
                  Resetting ZA Linky

Another LinkY
                  Last edited by Diver; 9 July 2008, 22:59.

Comment

Thanks, settings are as the link says.

Comment

Working...
                    X