• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

does maths ability have a shelf life?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does maths ability have a shelf life?

i got an A in maths A-level 15 years ago but didnt touch it since

now i've come back to it and im trying to pick up fairly hard maths in work and im really really struggling to grasp it conceptually

am i out of practice, is "maths thinking" something i can get back into, or have 15 years of living well put it out of reach?

What sort of maths ?

Didn't you do maths at Uni?

No it doesn't have a shelf life but might be something you've never dome accross before
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
      am i out of practice, is "maths thinking" something i can get back into, or have 15 years of living well put it out of reach?
      Do you also shout at the TV, wee a little when you laugh, and become surprised at the youth of policemen?

You are old!
      Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Don't give up, patience is all you need it will soon come back...
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Likewise did A level maths and at uni - did well - but am struggling to make sense of the derivatives maths, can't remember a damn thing ... probably need to start from Bostok & Chandler and upwards again ... init!?!

Comment

I find maths ability to be directly related to the amount you practice.

My ability to do calculus is poor now, even though I managed to pass an Electronic Engineering degree 10 years ago.

If you need it, it will come back if you practice.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
              i got an A in maths A-level 15 years ago but didnt touch it since

now i've come back to it and im trying to pick up fairly hard maths in work and im really really struggling to grasp it conceptually

I was in the same boat a couple of years ago. Maths ability does seem to be innate - if you got an A in A-level maths (especially before the education reforms) you probably will have some ability, but you do get slower as you get older - those "ah-ha" moments take longer but are just as rewarding, so give yourself more time
              In my case had to go back to revise calculus, matrix theory, differential equations - I enjoyed it quite a bit in the end
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

If it's stats stuff you need PM me I've got some really good presentations from post grad years.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  In my case had to go back to revise calculus, matrix theory, differential equations - I enjoyed it quite a bit in the end
                  Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Stop talking about this stuff - next thing I know you'll all be wanting to earn the big bucks...

Comment

Working...
                    X