• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

by-election

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

by-election

I thought David Davies stood down to force a debate on the surveillance society. Given that the election is today, did I miss the debate?
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    I thought David Davies stood down to force a debate on the surveillance society. Given that the election is today, did I miss the debate?
    Possibly. There has been quite a bit on telly and in the papers. Journos have a bit of a problem covering it because there are so many people standing. I am surprised that Gordo hasn't done what Thatcher did and bumped up the deposit by several thousand percent to prevent so many novelty candidates standing.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
      Possibly. There has been quite a bit on telly and in the papers. Journos have a bit of a problem covering it because there are so many people standing. I am surprised that Gordo hasn't done what Thatcher did and bumped up the deposit by several thousand percent to prevent so many novelty candidates standing.
      yeah, you don't want people who are not our kind of people dipping their hands in democracy.

Comment

Wow, lots of candidates

Among my favourites:
        Self-styled as "Lord Biro", Mr Bishop wants to overthrow the capitalist state, which he blames for turning the singer Elvis Presley into a "fat media joke". He thinks US President George W Bush is the anti-Christ who will trigger Armageddon. Other policies include imprisoning Cherie Blair to stop her reporting details of her sex life and placing CCTV cameras in Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg's bedroom.

and
        Mr Nicholson, a former farmer, is running as an educational reformer. He advocates every child in the country being provided with an abacus, which he has developed, to improve their method of learning mathematics.

Interestingly, it's often the ones who are deadly serious who come across as much weirder than the deliberately-strange ones

Comment

http://www.gemmagarrett.com/

She ran and won the most of the "joke" votes. I wonder why.

Comment

Working...
          X