• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone here ever worked for a London 'Hedge Fund' ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did they work you like a slave ? coding into the night ? did they pay well ? did you have to do everything yourself because they were under-resourced ?

Please tell me more...

Also I've always avoided Software Houses and working for the 'Consultants' i.e. Accenture / Arthur Anderson / EDS etc .. I just don't like those sorts of places very much ... but I was wondering with an upcoming recession I may be forced into those sorts of contracts .... which I will do reluctantly

Originally posted by eliquant View Post

Did they work you like a slave ? coding into the night ? did they pay well ? did you have to do everything yourself because they were under-resourced ?

Please tell me more...

Also I've always avoided Software Houses and working for the 'Consultants' i.e. Accenture / Arthur Anderson / EDS etc .. I just don't like those sorts of places very much ... but I was wondering with an upcoming recession I may be forced into those sorts of contracts .... which I will do reluctantly
    I think Chico did?

If you are planning to then check your contract. Most places have min of 8 hours and tend to keep to it.

"Consultants" might lose contracts oo!

Comment

I do know hedge fund companies, we inherited them from the wild wild west; but do they employ coders ?
      I thought they do more like technical support/analyst staff for their trading floors ? I might be wrong here - so someone pls feel to KMA !

Comment

My current gig is fund management / hedge funds and to be honest its pretty chilled if you know your stuff. Every one I know who has gone to Deutsch Bank say its a nightmare, very long hours and stress.

Comment

I used to work in a Garden center in Leicester. Not sure its the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
            Every one I know who has gone to Deutsch Bank say its a nightmare, very long hours and stress.
            Don't they claim overtime? I usually find when I say, "Yeah I can work, but obviously the agency won't let me without billing for it...." They either cough up, or back off. Either way it's win-win....
            And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Deutsche Bank is a fixed daily rate, I think.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Make sure you have got what it takes to work 7/8-8-9.

A friend - one of the best Murex consultants around - was at one for just a few months, couldn't handle the working hours.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                  "Yeah I can work, but obviously the agency won't let me without billing for it...."
                  [IRONY] Spoken like a true businessman [\IRONY]
                  Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                  X