• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Diving stock market wipes out pension surplus

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diving stock market wipes out pension surplus

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008....marketturmoil

The findings are in line with figures from Aon Consulting this month, which showed three-quarters of the UK's 200 largest final-salary pension schemes in deficit, after a third plunged into the red during June. The group said the schemes saw their funding position deteriorate from a collective £6bn surplus in May to a shortfall of £30bn.

I'm sure the public sector parasites will be okay though.

Have you noticed that when stock markets plunge that the end value of your pension goes down by about the same amount, but after the recovery it doesn't go up. Confirms the view that the losses go on the pension account and the profits are booked to the traders.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Those 'calculations' are based on the old assumption that pension schemes invest on the stock market the majority (around 70%) of their funds. This is no longer the case, most now go for bonds and comm. property (this may possibly come back to haunt them later), but certainly those figures are not accurate IMO. Scaremongery of the highest level, well done 'The Guardian' aka DP (I hope you don't waste your money to buy it)

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I'm sure the public sector parasites will be okay though.
        I could say the same as I say to people who say that contractors get paid too much: if you think it's so great, nothing is stopping you doing it too.

Comment

hmmm wonder what Gordon is going to do
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Best time to be lumping money into a pension is now. No really, it is.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Blub like a baby and ask for his mum?

Not just a recession a M&S recession

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                <
                The government cannot afford more vote-pleasing handouts.
                >

Don't bet on it
                If you find this post offensive, please insert "Chan" before and "tho" after, then it should be OK.

Sometimes I almost feel just like a human being - Elvis Costello

Comment

Originally posted by Chantho View Post
                  <
                  >
                  taxpayer

Comment

Originally posted by Chantho View Post
                    <
                    >

Don't bet on it
                    He is going to turn on the printing presses and make loads of money to pay those loyal Labour voting public sector workers. Maybe he has done so already and kept it quiet by out sourcing to De La Rue. I’ve just checked their share price. They are doing very well; up 11% in the last 12 months while the FTSE250 is down 33% in the same period.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X