• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Credit Card Fraud

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Card Fraud

I received one of those phishing emails this morning saying my mastercard secure password had been changed. I thought this was the usual spam so ignored it.

Something didnt look right tho, the email looked professional. Checked the send to address and it was my official one I have for things like this. Made a call to the number on the email, still slightly suspicious!

It turns out someone had reset my my Mastercard secure password this morning, and then bought cinema tickets. Instantly passed through to Fraud, card now cancelled.

I think I'm lucky, the fraud was for a total of £8.20! Still annoyned though. Now trying to work out where it was cloned and how did they reset the password???

Only plus side is that I caught it early, and I wish I could see their face when go to collect the tickets and the card wont work as its been cancelled!!
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Originally posted by scooby View Post
    I received one of those phishing emails this morning saying my mastercard secure password had been changed. I thought this was the usual spam so ignored it.

Something didnt look right tho, the email looked professional. Checked the send to address and it was my official one I have for things like this. Made a call to the number on the email, still slightly suspicious!

It turns out someone had reset my my Mastercard secure password this morning, and then bought cinema tickets. Instantly passed through to Fraud, card now cancelled.

I think I'm lucky, the fraud was for a total of £8.20! Still annoyned though. Now trying to work out where it was cloned and how did they reset the password???

Only plus side is that I caught it early, and I wish I could see their face when go to collect the tickets and the card wont work as its been cancelled!!
    The systems are clearly not as secure as they'd like us to believe. I got a call from my card provider after they noticed some unusual activity. I had paid online for something using worldpay the night before. No-one wanted to talk about why, despite having followed every precaution, my card details were compromised. My guess is dodgy employees.

The government is trying to confuse the issue by describing CC fraud as ID theft and using it to justify ID cards which is the biggest pile ever.

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post

Who's the issuing bank btw?

Securecode/Verified by visa can have the password reset if they know certain details about you (I think physical possession of the card helps in this case for CVV number etc). Additionally merchants can also choose to go ahead with a transaction despite a securecode/verified by visa failure.
      B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
        The systems are clearly not as secure as they'd like us to believe. ...
        The government is trying to confuse the issue by describing CC fraud as ID theft and using it to justify ID cards which is the biggest pile ever.
        And by accepting the banks' word that if anyone else has your PIN you must have given it to them. Do not let anyone see you enter your PIN - right, in the supermarket? With a signature, there is some hope of proving after the event that it wasn't you who signed it; with a PIN, it must have been with your consent or your fault. And if you report a stolen card + PIN, you may find that YOU are reported to the police for fraud.

As for filling stations, I always pay cash now. IMHO that's at least one place where security outweighs convenience.

And I use a separate card to buy online, a debit card on a separate account with little cash in it, and no overdraft facility.

Comment

The whole chip and pin thing was a con right from the start. If they wanted to cut down fraud, then have a pin together with the signiture. The only reason they wanted a pin is that it takes the onus off the banks.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
            The whole chip and pin thing was a con right from the start. If they wanted to cut down fraud, then have a pin together with the signiture. The only reason they wanted a pin is that it takes the onus off the banks.
            funny enough, banks are in business to maximise their profits. not to cut down on fraud

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              funny enough, banks are in business to maximise their profits. not to cut down on fraud

Everyone is in business to maximise profits.
              Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

I know that - but chip and pin was touted as being something to cut fraud when all it really was ever about was removing the burden from the bank. I'm just amazed that nobody held them to account (no pun intended)
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                  I know that - but chip and pin was touted as being something to cut fraud when all it really was ever about was removing the burden from the bank. I'm just amazed that nobody held them to account (no pun intended)
                  The burden is only removed from the bank if you DON'T use chip and PIN...

Hence a lot of places not accepting signatures anymore.
                  B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by Advocate View Post
                    Who's the issuing bank btw?

Securecode/Verified by visa can have the password reset if they know certain details about you (I think physical possession of the card helps in this case for CVV number etc). Additionally merchants can also choose to go ahead with a transaction despite a securecode/verified by visa failure.
                    Natwest (RBS)
                    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Working...
                    X