• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

fuel duty increase scrapped

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel duty increase scrapped

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4342634.ece

Never saw that one coming eh?
    Older and ...well, just older!!

A litre of fuel's going up by about a penny a week anyway at the moment isn't it? More probably. The extra VAT will easily compensate for the loss of the 2p fuel duty.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
      A litre of fuel's going up by about a penny a week anyway at the moment isn't it? More probably. The extra VAT will easily compensate for the loss of the 2p fuel duty.
      Absolutely. There's a quote in the article from Captain Darling about how low the %age is in real terms. But, as you say, a %age of a larger figure provides a larger take overall.

Pity the redtop reading muppets won't see that cos they is fick innit...
      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Petrol seems to go up by at least 1p/lt every week, so by the end of the year it would be nearer to the £ 1.50 mark.
        When it was £ 1.18/lt , the breakdown of that was: £ 0.48 cost, £ 0.52 tax and £ 0.18 vat (17.5%), ie total tax £ 0.70 or 60% of the total price. We seem to have forgotten the fact that unlike other countries we are still a big producer of oil, some of which is exported and the increased tax from that also goes to the gov't coffers. If you take Saudi or the UAE, I am told that a gallon of petrol there costs as much a litre here, ie more than 4 times cheaper. I am not saying that it should be the same here, but David cameron's idea of the fuel tax in future being made disproportional to the price is a very good one. When the price increases, tax should decrease (total revenue still remaining the same) and v.v.

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
          Petrol seems to go up by at least 1p/lt every week, so by the end of the year it would be nearer to the £ 1.50 mark.
          When it was £ 1.18/lt , the breakdown of that was: £ 0.48 cost, £ 0.52 tax and £ 0.18 vat (17.5%), ie total tax £ 0.70 or 60% of the total price. We seem to have forgotten the fact that unlike other countries we are still a big producer of oil, some of which is exported and the increased tax from that also goes to the gov't coffers. If you take Saudi or the UAE, I am told that a gallon of petrol there costs as much a litre here, ie more than 4 times cheaper. I am not saying that it should be the same here, but David cameron's idea of the fuel tax in future being made disproportional to the price is a very good one. When the price increases, tax should decrease (total revenue still remaining the same) and v.v.
          I'd prefer petrol were taxed more personally, that way it'd mostly be a voluntary / stupidity or inversely related to willy size tax. Scrap council taxes and make petrol £10 litre!

Comment

I have to say, I would prefer much higher consumption taxes than income taxes.

It really gets my goat that interest on savings is taxed for example.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
              Postponed
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Does anybody here know the meaning of the word 'deferred' !!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                  Does anybody here know the meaning of the word 'deferred' !!
                  It's what a cat has to be before you eat it.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

As in 'deferred success'?

Comment

Working...
                    X