• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Preference: Easy ( stay low ) or personality/skills show off contract ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preference: Easy ( stay low ) or personality/skills show off contract ?

Would you rather be in a contract where you don't have much to do thus you can utilize the time to your own advantage i.e to study something or research BTL. Or you rather be in a contract where you are 80 percent involved in the project AND doing what you like to be doing ?.

Both contracts paying your satisfactory rate.
    I prefer the stay low contract.
    52.00%
    I prefer the show off contract
    48.00%
    Other:
    0.00%
    Last edited by Likely; 16 July 2008, 11:07.

Originally posted by Likely View Post
    Both contracts paying your satisfactory rate.
    I prefer busy, time passes more quickly that way.
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

I prefer the show off contract

Comment

very even split so far...
        Eeyore was very glad to be able to stop thinking for a little, in order to say "How do you do" in a gloomy manner to Pooh.
        "And how are you?" said Winnie-the-Pooh.
        Eeyore shook his head from side to side. "Not very how," he said. "I don't seem to felt at all how for a long time."

Comment

Just to be an annoying tit, I'm not sure the two options are realistic. Sometimes the 'keep your head down' contract is one where you are squirreled away doing a damn fine job. Those are thes I prefer, nobody bothers me until delivery date when I pull out the widget to much applause.

Sometimes the 'show off' contracts are the ones where you are in the public eye, firefighting major stuff and then sitting around with nothign to do the rest of the time. I hate those.
          Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by kali View Post
            very even split so far...
            It's just me voting. I like riding the fence

Comment

I prefer to keep my head down, with the occasional bought of ostentatious brilliance near to renewal to remind them why they are paying me
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Technically if you lay low , i.e don't do much you , then you make more money considering you get the same daily rate although you have actually worked 1 - 2 hours..

Comment

Originally posted by Likely View Post
                  Technically if you lay low , i.e don't do much you , then you make more money considering you get the same daily rate although you have actually worked 1 - 2 hours..
                  However, from an IR35 point of view, the client would be paying you to sit around and do nothing, hence MOO = inside IR35 = bent over and shafted with NI, etc = less spondoolies.

Comment

Originally posted by Weltchy View Post
                    However, from an IR35 point of view, the client would be paying you to sit around and do nothing, hence MOO = inside IR35 = bent over and shafted with NI, etc = less spondoolies.
                    I disagree but I am sure the HMRC will agree with you. However what if i am hired to put out fire ? What if the nature of the work is such that action is needed at certain times only ? Can my business be accused of trying to keep my client happy ? I.E by making sure my service is readily available ?
                    Last edited by Likely; 16 July 2008, 12:31.

Comment

Working...
                    X