• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paying Off the Mortgage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying Off the Mortgage

My 2 year fixed term is coming to an end, I just have enough funds to pay it off. what's the best way to do this? If I withdraw the money from my company's account, them am going to be liable to paying 40% personal tax on it, which is quite steep. Any ideas?

Originally posted by SouthRoute55 View Post
    My 2 year fixed term is coming to an end, I just have enough funds to pay it off. what's the best way to do this? If I withdraw the money from my company's account, them am going to be liable to paying 40% personal tax on it, which is quite steep. Any ideas?
    Close the company down, using entrepreneurs relief (approx 10% tax).

Use an umbrella for 3 months, decide you don't like it, start another company.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Why not just get divorced instead? Then you wont have to worry about paying it off for ages.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Why not just get divorced instead? Then you wont have to worry about paying it off for ages.
        I think he's trying to save money ......
        It is better to be silent and thought of a fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

Comment

Then don't 40% is a lot worse than 6% don't you think.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

I also seem to recall somewhere reading some advice that it was a good idea to leave a very small amount on the mortgage - say £100 - because then the mortgage firm will look after your deeds securely for you for no charge.

Comment

Originally posted by HeliCraig View Post
              I also seem to recall somewhere reading some advice that it was a good idea to leave a very small amount on the mortgage - say £100 - because then the mortgage firm will look after your deeds securely for you for no charge.
              Mortgage companies are returning the original deed to the Mortgage holders now, because the information is now kept on land registry DB and the deeds are no longer required by many lenders. Linky

But originals still require safe storage
              Last edited by Diver; 17 July 2008, 07:14.
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Withdraw enough to not attract 40% tax, pay this off the mortgage.

Rinse and repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
                  Withdraw enough to not attract 40% tax, pay this off the mortgage.

Rinse and repeat.
                  Or put the money into a SIPP pension that grows at 6%. In this way, Gordon Brown actually gives you the 40% tax back.

Then at 55 yrs old, take a lump sum of 25% of you pension pot and pay of the mortgage with that.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Or put the money into a SIPP pension that grows at 6%. In this way, Gordon Brown actually gives you the 40% tax back.

Then at 55 yrs old, take a lump sum of 25% of you pension pot and pay of the mortgage with that.
                    WHS.

<cough!> I mean, "Hear! Hear!"

Comment

Working...
                    X