• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SA Tax return

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA Tax return

Hello.

I've got some spare time on my hands (yeah, I'm on the subs bench!) and am looking at the Self Assessment form sent out by HMRC in April. It says the due date is 31st October - but I'm thinking of tackling it now simply because I have the time.

I presume there's no reason not to send this in early? Would there be any disadvantages to this?

A couple of related questions:

- I presume as a limited company with myself as an employer, I am classed as 'Employed', not Self Employed?

- P60 forms. I received this from SJD as I used to be with them. Do I presume that HMRC sent this directly to them as they were acting on my behalf? If you don't have a year round accountant, would this automatically be sent to you?

Many thanks, Gros.

You do the tax return for Sally Anne?

Comment

If your tax liability is expected to be considerable less in 07/08 than 06/07 doing it now means you can get your final tax bill now, and possibly reclaim any payments on account already made.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

>I presume there's no reason not to send this in early? Would there be any disadvantages to this?

Nope, though there is some debate as to how to fill in the service company question, more info may come to light in the coming weeks...

> - I presume as a limited company with myself as an employer, I am classed as 'Employed', not Self Employed?

Yes

> - P60 forms. I received this from SJD as I used to be with them. Do I presume that HMRC sent this directly to them as they were acting on my behalf? If you don't have a year round accountant, would this automatically be sent to you?

HMRC don't produce P60s, the payroll dept (i.e. SJD) of your employer does.

QB.

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyBerty View Post

HMRC don't produce P60s, the payroll dept (i.e. SJD) of your employer does.

QB.
          Thanks QB - so what happens for all the people here who don't have accountants, how do they get a P60?

Comment

On a slight tangent ... has there been any news about the box saying something like "income from personal service company". Haven't heard anything on this for a long while.

Comment

Originally posted by Gros View Post
              Thanks QB - so what happens for all the people here who don't have accountants, how do they get a P60?
              You have to write one yourself.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                On a slight tangent ... has there been any news about the box saying something like "income from personal service company". Haven't heard anything on this for a long while.
                That's on the P35 isn't it? That's not the form I'm talking about here.

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                You have to write one yourself.
                Err, ok! But it looks like an official printed form to me... do you have to get a blank from HMRC?

Comment

That's on the P35 isn't it? That's not the form I'm talking about here.
                  Nope - SA form. Debate is whether or not your answers on SA & P35 match up or if it doesn't matter.

Err, ok! But it looks like an official printed form to me... do you have to get a blank from HMRC?
                  http://search.hmrc.gov.uk/kbroker/in...&submit=Search

The search box on HMRC is very useful.

As you seem like a nice chap,

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employers/emp-form.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    Nope - SA form. Debate is whether or not your answers on SA & P35 match up or if it doesn't matter.
                    Yep that's my question. I answered No to service company on P35 so I assume at the moment I should probably leave the SA box blank. But last I can remember reading was QDOS (I think) who said on Shout99 to wait for further clarification before filling in the box. Just wondered if anyone had heard any more .. I might call QDOS to see what they think now.

Comment

Working...
                    X