• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who's better at handling the economy poll

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's better at handling the economy poll

Time to vote. Yes that includes you at the back.
    New Labour
    8.51%
    New Tory
    40.43%
    Old AndyW
    51.06%

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Time to vote. Yes that includes you at the back.
    Where's the Adam Smith option?

Comment

Where's the Maggie option?

Comment

Where's the cyclops is really a nice chap just doing his best option?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
          Where's the Maggie option?
          Where it belongs - consigned to the dustbin of history. Unemployment, tax increases, QUANGOs , public spending increases - all Maggie's work.

Where is the "they are all pretty hopeless and any appearance the government is doing anything good or bad is largely an illusion" option? and the "My answer is the default based on my dogmatic and unwavering support of one party against the face of any evidence" option?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post

Where is the "they are all pretty hopeless and any appearance the government is doing anything good or bad is largely an illusion" option?
            I thought the Adam Smith option might cover that in a way

Comment

Fair point - that might explain why the Adam Smith Institute's tax freedom day pages show that the latest in the year tax freedom day has ever been was under................Maggie!

Comment

I'm starting to think we should give the Lib Dems a chance.....that bloke's fit! What's he called again, Nick Clegg?

Marks out of 10? I'd give him 1
                The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
                  Marks out of 10? I'd give him 1
                  How stringent is the selection criteria in that survey?
                  Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Smith would probably hold that any sign of the government doing good was an illusion, but signs of it doing bad might well be real.

But he was far from being an impartial observer, he had an axe to grind, on the agriculturist side and against the merchants. His view is essentially liberalism, though strangely different from today's American version, in that Smith was opposed to corporatism (mercantilism as he called it) because it was bad if business got together with government to profiteer at the expense of the people; whereas for Friedman the whole point of government is to give business a free hand to pillage.

See Chile, Central America, Poland, South Africa, Russia, Iraq.... but I digress.

Comment

Working...
                    X