• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking a loan from myco

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking a loan from myco

Hi Guys, I have a large amount of cash in my-ltd-co. I have been told that I can take this out as a loan at the start of the financial year, and provided I pay it back before the end of the financial year I would just suffer a benefit in tax charge of 1.25% on the money borrowed

is this correct? are there any other tax implications I need to be aware of?

Thanks

Originally posted by aceboy View Post
    Hi Guys, I have a large amount of cash in my-ltd-co. I have been told that I can take this out as a loan at the start of the financial year, and provided I pay it back before the end of the financial year I would just suffer a benefit in tax charge of 1.25% on the money borrowed

is this correct? are there any other tax implications I need to be aware of?

Thanks
    The company will pay Corporation Tax on its profits. You will pay Income Tax on dividends distributed to you from the company. If the loan is in excess of £5k at the financial year end, you will pay tax on the whole amount of the loan also. You will receive dividend tax credits which you offset against your income tax liability.

Comment

Ok but let say the company year runs from 1st August to 31st july, if I take a £10k loan on the 2nd august, and pay it in full back on 28th July, what is the liability?

Basically I am trying to use the money to off set my mortgage.... in the offset account...

Comment

You should pay interest at commercial rates.

The £5k limit is not set in stone but is generaly accepted amount.

So you should really pay yourco an interest rate of at least base rate (5%). Otherwise you'd be liable for tax on that 5% (or £500) so you should pay tax on that as BIK.

But ask your accountant.

Comment

Working...
        X