• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Licence for riding a sub cc bike....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Licence for riding a sub cc bike....

Thinking of getting a sub cc bike for pottering about at weekends. I defo do not want one that looks like a camp moped, but, one that looks sportier like a bike should. Until I cannot get any faster than 35mph....

Am I right in thinking that as I have had my full licence since 1989 I do not need to get the CBT course and I can go out, buy, and ride?

You should ride a bicycle instead. Mother Earth will thank you for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
      Thinking of getting a sub cc bike for pottering about at weekends. I defo do not want one that looks like a camp moped, but, one that looks sportier like a bike should. Until I cannot get any faster than 35mph....

Am I right in thinking that as I have had my full licence since 1989 I do not need to get the CBT course and I can go out, buy, and ride?
      You can, but it's not a good idea unless you want to kill yourself.

Hmmmm

On, second thoughts, go right ahead...
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
        No, you still need a CBT.
        Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
          No, you still need a CBT.
          Not to ride a moped he doesn't. Law changed in 2001 to make the CBT compulsory - if you passed before then you've already got Cat 'A' on your licence.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            Not to ride a moped he doesn't. Law changed in 2001 to make the CBT compulsory - if you passed before then you've already got Cat 'A' on your licence.
            Ah, I did my bike test before then, didn't realise it had changed. CBT was a joke anyway, it's not a 'test' in any real sense, since you can't really fail it.
            Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

If you are going to ride a bike (any size) on L plates you need CBT.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
                Ah, I did my bike test before then, didn't realise it had changed. CBT was a joke anyway, it's not a 'test' in any real sense, since you can't really fail it.
                Indeed, but it's a very good idea to get it as you get to practice basics before you get on the road with 30 tonne trucks bear down on you pootling along at <34 mph...

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  Indeed, but it's a very good idea to get it as you get to practice basics before you get on the road with 30 tonne trucks bear down on you pootling along at <34 mph...
                  Apart from in London, where us motorcyclists are far too busy knocking down cyclists...

...apparently!!

And what's a sub cc bike anyway?
                  Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I did my CBT when the new rules came in (1990 IIRC), but I'd already been riding around on L plates for the best part of a year. So it was a bit of a joke for me.

I read what Wilmslow says to mean he has a bike licence, but he says "full licence". If you mean car, well then you need to do a CBT etc.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X