• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"We're doomed" - Alistair Darling

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're doomed" - Alistair Darling

The downturn in the economy could last for years rather than months, says the Chancellor

In the Chancellor’s view there is, however, more likely to be economic meltdown than an atomic Armageddon. Last year his Spanish holiday was ruined by Northern Rock – “after three days I picked up a copy of the FT in the supermarket and thought, that’s it then.”

This year he won’t leave Britain all summer. “We are going through a very, very difficult time,” he said. “You have the twin effect of the credit crunch and very high oil prices. That means the economic news is going to be difficult for quite some time.”

He has a picture called Death’s Head on his office wall and his musical hero is the notoriously depressing Leonard Cohen. “I’m going to a concert he’s giving,” he said. “After a day at the Treasury I’m going there to be cheered up.”
    I must say it seems a bit much to publish irrelevant personal details like the following, at the end of the article, although circumcision is supposed to be more hygienic:

Roundhead or cavalier? Roundhead
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

So what he is saying then is that there is nothing he can do about it and he just has to ride it out.

This is so typical of an entire generation of managers who just sit back and hope that the tulip doesn't hit the fan on their watch, rather than provide any vision, direction and leadership

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
      So what he is saying then is that there is nothing he can do about it and he just has to ride it out.

This is so typical of an entire generation of managers who just sit back and hope that the tulip doesn't hit the fan on their watch, rather than provide any vision, direction and leadership
      He can pray oil prices drop - hat else do you suggest?

If the fiscal deficit was not at maximum during the good times it might have been different...

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        his musical hero is the notoriously depressing Leonard Cohen. “I’m going to a concert he’s giving,” he said. “After a day at the Treasury I’m going there to be cheered up.”
        you who are absent all day,
        you who are kings for the sake of
        your children's story,
        the hand of your beggar is burdened down with money,
        the hand of your lover is clay.
        Into this furnace I ask you now to venture...

Comment

Working...
        X