• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good Accountant Wanted

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Accountant Wanted

In the unlikely eventuality that any of you accounting types who hang out here are "good", a new boy is looking for one. I suspect he means "cheap" rather than "good" so you might be in with a chance.

Pitch your wares here: http://forums.contractoruk.com/thread3097.html

They must all be on your blocked list...
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      There was a time when there'd have been a feeding frenzy over that...

Where have Rhino etc. gone?
      Perhaps they're all fat cats now, bloated on the cream from doing all those contractors' accounts for them?

Comment

I'm on the lookout too.

Just returned to contracting after 3 years in permyland.

Do you think location is an issue? Can you work with your accountant remotely for most things? Or is it best to have one close enough to get to easily?

My last accountant was closeby, but I never really got too much advice from our meetings so not sure its important.

What sort of issues should I be considering when selecting an accountant?

Comment

Originally posted by omen666
          I'm on the lookout too.

Do you think location is an issue? Can you work with your accountant remotely for most things? Or is it best to have one close enough to get to easily?

My last accountant was closeby, but I never really got too much advice from our meetings so not sure its important.

If it's a good accountant, it shouldn't matter where they are. It's only when they feck up that them being local is a help, as nothing focusses the mind more than having an irate client in your office. Most important is that they understand the ins and outs of contractor style accounts with an appreciation of things such as IR35 and S660. The accountant who, say, does the books for the local corner shop has probably never even heard of IR35, for example.

Comment

I had a bad experience with an accountant whose style was very much “just pass all the info to us and you don’t need to do anything else”. This doesn’t work; as only you care enough about your money to make sure things are done properly. So choose an accountant that will help you understand how a business works (it’s not that difficult), and one that will answer your questions fully and quickly. It’s better if they can do this by email or over the phone, so a local office isn’t really necessary. If you have to go in and see them every time you have a question, you’ll waste a lot of time.

Comment

I second the advice to avoid the "we'll do it all for you" accountants. If you don't, you will never notice when they feck up (and they will, all accountants do from time to time) and it's always you that's left carrying the baby. At the very least, make sure you spend a little time going through your PL accounts and balance sheet once a month. That 30 minutes spent once a month will save days of anguish somewhere down the line 6 months after your accountant forgot to do something important.

One other tip, familiarise yourself with what statutory paperwork needs to be produced and when, e.g. P35, Companies House annual return, P11D, etc., etc. You would be amazed (or maybe you wouldn't) how many accountants can "forget" to do this.

Comment

So true - this is the very reason I closed my ltd co before. My accountant messed up big time - even after giving him all the details nicely laid out in an excel speradsheet, he outsourced it to someone who completely botched it up, and I had to pay a premium cuz it was outsourced! needless to say, that was the last time I used his services.

Since then I've been on PAYE with my company (management firm) and now I have started using an umberlla.

Comment

Originally posted by Ali
                  So true - this is the very reason I closed my ltd co before. My accountant messed up big time - even after giving him all the details nicely laid out in an excel speradsheet, he outsourced it to someone who completely botched it up, and I had to pay a premium cuz it was outsourced! needless to say, that was the last time I used his services.

Since then I've been on PAYE with my company (management firm) and now I have started using an umberlla.
                  I bloody knew you were a troll!

Comment

Acccountants

Originally posted by omen666
                    I'm on the lookout too.

Welcome back Omen. Location tends not to be an issue as most things can be done through email...we have clients throughout Europe, many of which have never been within 50 miles of our offices!

If you require further info, drop me an email or PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X