• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do I have any legal obligations ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I have any legal obligations ?

Coming onto the m60 this morning, two lanes merging into one. I let a car in in front of me then noticed a second car getting closer and closer. The wheel arches touched and I braked.
    I have about three minor scratches on my front right bumper, but his left hand door looked well dented ind scraped. We swopped numbers and names and he tolf me he was going to ring the police and it was all my fault. Then his passenger said could we hurry it up because he had to get to the airport.

In a hurry then, and no indicators on ? they called me a cheeky sod then drove off.

Do I have to do anything

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Coming onto the m60 this morning, two lanes merging into one. I let a car in in front of me then noticed a second car getting closer and closer. The wheel arches touched and I braked.
    I have about three minor scratches on my front right bumper, but his left hand door looked well dented ind scraped. We swopped numbers and names and he tolf me he was going to ring the police and it was all my fault. Then his passenger said could we hurry it up because he had to get to the airport.

In a hurry then, and no indicators on ? they called me a cheeky sod then drove off.

Do I have to do anything

You don't need to anything - you stopped and gave name/address. they might ask for insurance details.

Were there any independent witnesses? Some people manufacture them!

I expect nothing else will happen.

Why would they call the police? Presumably to give them a good laugh?

Comment

Do I have to do anything

So you were joining the motorway - & there would be a series of broken white lines between your lane and the inside lane of the motorway

In my day that used to mean 'give way'

HTH
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        You don't need to anything - you stopped and gave name/address. they might ask for insurance details.

Were there any independent witnesses? Some people manufacture them!

I expect nothing else will happen.

Why would they call the police? Presumably to give them a good laugh?
        Dunno why they would call the police, they obviously thought it was my fault, although I believe the opposite. As far as I am concerned, the scratches on my car are insignificant, but if I dont follow it up it makes me look a teensy bit more culpable.

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          So you were joining the motorway - & there would be a series of broken white lines between your lane and the inside lane of the motorway

In my day that used to mean 'give way'

HTH
          no,

its a roundabout with one exit leading to a slip road of the m60, I am on the roundabout in the left hand lane, there are two lanes on the roundabout. I let a guy in from the right then find myself 'kissing' a second car who is also trying to pull into my lane

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)

Comment

Dunno why they would call the police, they obviously thought it was my fault, although I believe the opposite. As far as I am concerned, the scratches on my car are insignificant, but if I dont follow it up it makes me look a teensy bit more culpable.

Who will you follow it up with?

Personally I would not call the police as nothing to do with them. And you have not swapped insurance details?

Comment

eo,

were you texting at the time ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                eo,

were you texting at the time ?

Milan.
                nope - he was on his "eye pod"

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Who will you follow it up with?

Personally I would not call the police as nothing to do with them. And you have not swapped insurance details?
                  We swopped names , reg numbers and phone numbers. Do I have to let the insurance company know, or can I hang fire and see how it pans out ?

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)

Comment

no,

its a roundabout with one exit leading to a slip road of the m60, I am on the roundabout in the left hand lane, there are two lanes on the roundabout. I let a guy in from the right then find myself 'kissing' a second car who is also trying to pull into my lane

Then the damage is to the offside of your vehicle and the nearside of his. that is all the proof you need. You have his name and address, me and the boys will nip round and have a chat with him then
                    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
                    X