• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car Finance Fraud? Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Finance Fraud? Question

One of my tenants has just informed me that she is moving out in September. She has a Jamaican (I think he is) boyfriend, who a few months ago purchased a BMW 320 d SE on finance, which I have been reliably informed he has outstanding finance on; as he hasn't paid the finance since he purchased the vehicle.
    I have also been reliably informed that he is attempting to sell the vehicle privately.
    The vehicle is currently hidden on the rear drive of one of my properties (the one she is renting).
    I do not know whether the finance was taken out at that address (my property)

What should my course of action be?

Does it affect my credit rating, as I am the owner of the property?
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Don't get involved. The property won't be blacklisted, it's only people who get blacklisted now.
    "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
      One of my tenants has just informed me that she is moving out in September. She has a Jamaican (I think he is) boyfriend, who a few months ago purchased a BMW 320 d SE on finance, which I have been reliably informed he has outstanding finance on; as he hasn't paid the finance since he purchased the vehicle.
      I have also been reliably informed that he is attempting to sell the vehicle privately.
      The vehicle is currently hidden on the rear drive of one of my properties (the one she is renting).

Let him know that you know he is attempting to commit fraud. Then buy BMW for a cut-down price. Sell it on. BOOMED!

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post

does that b@stard drive anywhere near the M60 ?
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Am i missing something here? If he sells the car, he can pay off the finance ... presumably.

Comment

you know his name and your property address - apply for his credit record and a code will be sent to your property. Either sneak in and get the post, or have it re-directed.

Or you could just mention it to the local fuzz

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
              Am i missing something here? If he sells the car, he can pay off the finance ... presumably.
              You are missing loads... he could easily have it shipped over to Cyprus/Malta and sell it for good cash. Default on the finance and run away with the dollars

Comment

Yeh! never thought of that!!!

He'll pay off the finance just before moving out

Of course the finance settlement will only be a little higher than what he gets for the car
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Not your problem

He may not even be able to do that if it is listed with outstanding HP.

Afraid none of your business Diver, all a landlord has to do before a tenant leaves is to check any outstanding utility bills and council tax and deduct those from the deposit, as in most cases you are not likely to get a forwarding address.

Having said that, if anyone gets blacklisted against a property address, it makes it even harder for the next occupant to get credit.

Comment

As he is leaving and seems to be running up some large debts why not apply for a couple of credit cards in his name, max them out and then tell the bailiffs he has done a runner owing loads. Tell em he owes you rent too. Tell em you will have to change the locks as someone is picking up his mail and must have a set of keys.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X