• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any tennis players here?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any tennis players here?

I'm picking up the basics lately, having some fun with this, starting to play quite regularly... ...but finding that there's no real consensus of methods/tips/tricks from one coach to another (For example - people I speak to have different 'perfect forehand/backhand/serve/volley/slice/smash' techniques re grip and the footwork).

So - starting from first principles, can anyone recommend some resources, online or printed, they've found particularly helpful?

I've worked my way through the ITF rules and The Tennis Code, and will be practising the 'ready position', moving off, footwork etc tonight... I know it's just for fun, but I do like to research these things thoroughly.

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    I'm picking up the basics lately, having some fun with this, starting to play quite regularly... ...but finding that there's no real consensus of methods/tips/tricks from one coach to another (For example - people I speak to have different 'perfect forehand/backhand/serve/volley/slice/smash' techniques re grip and the footwork).

So - starting from first principles, can anyone recommend some resources, online or printed, they've found particularly helpful?

I've worked my way through the ITF rules and The Tennis Code, and will be practising the 'ready position', moving off, footwork etc tonight... I know it's just for fun, but I do like to research these things thoroughly.
    You have bought a new level of geek-dom to playing sport. You are to be commended.

I have no advice to give you on tennis books.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

FWIW I have never found tennis books to be of much use from a coaching perspective in relation to technique. There are some excellent books related to psychology of the game, strategy etc etc but nothing that I have personally come across that I felt really helped my strokes. Personally I believe if you are looking to improve you are better off buying 5 lessons or so off a club pro, then putting what you learn into practise for a couple months and then maybe going back for another 5 lessons or so.

Didn't really answer the question, just my 0.02p.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        You have bought a new level of geek-dom to playing sport. You are to be commended.

I have no advice to give you on tennis books.
        Why thank you sir. I'm probably quite capable of geekifying any chosen topic.

Comment

I would recomend watching videos of Anna Kournukova................. then go and watch some tennis.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
            FWIW I have never found tennis books to be of much use from a coaching perspective in relation to technique. There are some excellent books related to psychology of the game, strategy etc etc but nothing that I have personally come across that I felt really helped my strokes. Personally I believe if you are looking to improve you are better off buying 5 lessons or so off a club pro, then putting what you learn into practise for a couple months and then maybe going back for another 5 lessons or so.

Didn't really answer the question, just my 0.02p.
            Agreed. You can't learn any sport out of a book.
            The biggest improvement to my game came when I learnt to serve properly. That happened on a tennis coaching holiday in Spain. Highly recommended.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
              I would recomend watching videos of Anna Kournukova................. then go and watch some tennis.
              Anna Ivanovic

mmmmmmm

Comment

I used to teach tennis in my uni days.

3 books for you -

Tennis for dummies - this is a good book to explain the fundamentals.. co-written by patrick mcenroe.

Inner Game of Tennis - This is a book which focuses on the inner game, ie the mental aspects of it. It's about tennis but you can use the principles to learn and execute just about any sport.

Winning Ugly - another good one.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                  you are better off buying 5 lessons or so off a club pro, then putting what you learn into practise for a couple months and then maybe going back for another 5 lessons or so.
                  I have been thinking of doing that... very interesting to see the difference it makes. Last week I was shown one technique for the forehand - tried it - and the difference was astonishing. Showed me you get more power into a shot using the correct grip/stance/swing than you would expect using force alone.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                    I know it's just for fun, but I do like to research these things thoroughly.
                    realityhack is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Working...
                    X