• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opting in/out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opting in/out

I’d normally post this under the contracts section, but I require a quick answer.

Is it legal for an agency to insist a contractor opt-out? I usually opt-out, but when an agency tells me to do something I normally have the urge to do the opposite. Just wanted to know whether they can blatantly insist on this (obviously they can make sure an uncooperative candidate never goes forward).

Thanks
    Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Originally posted by WageSlave
    Is it legal for an agency to insist a contractor opt-out?
    No.

Clue: Opt is an abbreviation for "option", i.e. something that is optional.
    Last edited by Lucifer Box; 16 August 2005, 14:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
      No.

Clue: Opt is an abbreviation for "option", i.e. something that is optional.
      Thought so. But I wanted to check my facts before I fire off an e-mail telling the agent that I don't appreciate such advice!

Thanks.

Comment

Of course, they might not offer you the contract if you don't opt out.

Comment

It is your choice, in fact the new regs forbid them to make a contract offer dependant on an opt out.

If that is what they have done then tell them you will report them to the DTI.

Obviously, you are not going to be able to prove that that is why you didnt get the contract.
          If you have a choice of agents for the position make sure the other knows that the first should not have put you forward and is not operating on your behalf.

If you know who the client is then the agent cant object to you approaching them yourself as they have refused to represent you without an opt out.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Gunman, thanks for the advice. To be honest, the contract isn't that fantastic and it's for an agency I've never heard of before (Aqute). So perhaps I'll have a little fun playing the SOB

Comment

If you are going to play with them then try telling them you are going to do one of the above (another agent or direct) as they are not willing to accept an opted in contractor.

Do you have a copy of the regs? I am sure you could find plenty to play with.

Google for
              The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2002
              Last edited by The Lone Gunman; 16 August 2005, 14:36.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
                Do you have a copy of the regs? I am sure you could find plenty to play with.
                I do, but I haven't read them (yes, I know, I find it shocking myself). It's my project for the night; it's Mrs Jenkins at No. 8's bath night, but I'll have to give it a miss.

Comment

Originally posted by WageSlave
                  Gunman, thanks for the advice. To be honest, the contract isn't that fantastic and it's for an agency I've never heard of before (Aqute). So perhaps I'll have a little fun playing the SOB
                  I've just had exactly the same with Aqute, thought "I wonder what people are saying about Aqute", searched this forum and look what I found, quoted above. Wasn't impressed, but looks like they're making a habit of telling candidates they *have* to opt-out. I didn't agree and no, it didn't go down well. "We do not deal with people who don't opt out". Wouldn't e-mail me full job spec either. "It's only available if you agree for your CV to be put forward".

Comment

Originally posted by super
                    I've just had exactly the same with Aqute, thought "I wonder what people are saying about Aqute", searched this forum and look what I found, quoted above. Wasn't impressed, but looks like they're making a habit of telling candidates they *have* to opt-out. I didn't agree and no, it didn't go down well. "We do not deal with people who don't opt out". Wouldn't e-mail me full job spec either. "It's only available if you agree for your CV to be put forward".
                    Report them immediately with copies of email etc to the DTI.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Working...
                    X